SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organicgardener_gw

releasing an interloper fledgling

organicgardener
14 years ago

I had a call from a local rehabber. She had been taking care of a bluebird baby found on the ground beside a road. The fledgling was ready to release. Usually she just releases birds in her backyard, but she had no bluebirds. She knew that one of the Master Naturalist was the bluebird nut in town and were were connected.

She asked if she could release the bird in my yard since I had bluebirds. I did not know if that was a good idea but figured that it was the bird's best shot of survival.

She released the fledgling yesterday. He is about the same age as my fledglings. There was a whole lot of chattering going on from my adult blues. They knew he was an interloper right away. We hoped for the best. But I was worried. My adults were chasing the poor little thing and the female hopped on him and pecked his little head. All I could do was pray that things would work out.

Today everyone has settled down. I went out late this afternoon to feed the mealworms. Instead of 6 bluebirds in the group, there are now 7. The little orphan has found a family. Yea!!!!

I guess mom and papa bluebird just had to let the little fellow know who was boss.

Linda C

Comments (4)