SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mlkbskt

Mealworm Theft!

mlkbskt
12 years ago

I have a robin eating up my mealworms! I cannot afford to be feeding robins. Any suggestions? I want to feed the bluebirds, but robins would eat me out of house and home.

Comments (6)

• kendra2003
    12 years ago

Sure. Build or buy an enclosed bluebird feeder. Here's a picture of Mrs. Blue feeding one of her young on top of my feeder. The spaces are big enough for the Bluebirds to get through, but not large birds like Robins. Tuffed Titmice and Carolina Wrens do take my mealworms too, but I don't mind them as they don't take the whole load as a larger bird would.

• mlkbskt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey thanks! Great idea and love the photo.

• deedee1028
    12 years ago

Kendra what is the fence stuff you have and where can I buy it? I'm going to have my husband make me a feeder because the mockers and robins are eating and dominating the food I feed them.

• kendra2003
    12 years ago

It is metal storage shelving. Look for it at any big box store. The openings are 1 1/2 inches. I learned about this from someone else on this forum. Just read the boxes to find one with the right size openings, and build a box around the size of the shelving, so you don't have to cut the metal. The back of this box opens for cleaning and access to filling up the dishes with mealworms or suet. I just put hinges and a hook-and-eye closure on it. Then I mounted it on a pole with a stove pipe baffle so critters like Chipmunks don't raid it.

• deedee1028
    12 years ago

Thank you were going to try and have this built before our 4 babies fledge in 10 days.

• mlkbskt
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The funny thing for me is ... the robins are no longer eating the mealworms NOR ARE THE BLUEBIRDS! I do see a cardinal there at times enjoying a treat. Thus, I have not made a cage (yet). Waiting to see if the bluebirds come to eat or not. They are very active and Mama Blue is incubating her five eggs; we are expecting them to hatch around June 8.