SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
djohn36755

puzzled

djohn36755
9 years ago

Well - not a good year for me and my bluebirds so far - I have 2 houses - In house # 1 the first nest was built but never any eggs. I meant to clean it out but wasn't 100% sure they wouldn't come back. My other house #2 has a 2nd nesting of Nuthatches (6 eggs) which is fine with me but my favorite house (#1) that has had bluebirds for 10 years (sometimes up to 4 nestings a year) was abandoned. Then, for the last 3 or 4 days I've seen the male bluebird at the house. Have not seen a female. I thought, "OH no I left that old nest in there"....but wasn't sure what to do. I've been watching and he has been there numerous times a day- sometimes perching and looking in - but I couldn't see that he was feeding or had nesting material. Other times he just sits on top of it for long periods of time. Finally, after seeing him around all morning - I got out my screwdriver, mirror, etc. to investigate. To my shock, there are 5 Nuthatch eggs - in the abandoned bluebird nest. I have not seen the Nuthatch but she obviously isn't staying on the eggs yet - and my poor, poor bluebird boy - what is he doing? Where is his mate? I will pay close attention from now on - Looks like I will have a huge new group of Nuthatch babies. Anyone ever had this happen? What do you think my male is doing?

Comment (1)