SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
californian_gw

104 degrees F, great for sun dried tomatoes

californian
13 years ago

We have been having an unusually cool summer so far in coastal southern California, but the last two days it has gotten up to 104 degrees on my concrete patio, which is about 9 degrees higher than what the weatherman reports, probably from reflection of the sunlight from the patio and cement walls and white stucco of my house. As a result my whole patio now makes a great sun dried tomato dehydrator. I have a bunch of old window screens I use. I put one screen on some supports like a pair of saw horses, and cover it with tomatoes that I have washed and then cut in half or quarter depending on the size. I then put two sticks along the edges as a spacer and lay another screen on top to keep any flies away, although for some reason flies don't seem to be attracted to the tomatoes even if I didn't cover them with the extra screen. On the cool days it would take about four or five days to dry, but on these hot days two or three days is enough.

I have a surplus of Juliette, Isis Candy, and Ildi I have mostly been using, but I also used other varieties like Opalka and Jaune Flemme and Chadwick Cherry. Last year I used Sun Gold and Supersweet 100, but they are so small I get tired of all the work to pick them and slice them for such a small volume of tomatoes, although when dried they taste just like fruit candy.

Comments (2)