SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rxblue

A bumper crop of bluebirds

rxblue
15 years ago

I have had a active bluebird trail on my farm for the past 3 years. At present I am monitoring 16 bluebird houses. Some my Mother-in-law put up about 25 years ago, but most that I have put up in the last 3 years. I went out today after work to check the houses. After I added everything up, I was stunned at what I have so far. Only one house is empty. One house has a mossy type nest with the Mother bird sitting on eggs. She did not want to come out and I did not want to bother her, so I closed the box knowing she is not a bluebird, but not yet sure what she is. I have two boxes with bluebird nests, but no eggs as of yet. I have one box with 3 BB eggs, 2 boxes with 4 eggs, 7 boxes with 5 eggs, and 2 boxes with 4 babies each. That is 54 eggs or babies. As I said before, I am stunned to have this many so early in the season. I have spookers up on all of the boxes with eggs or babies except one, and will take care of that one this weekend. I can't tell you how much fun it is for me, my wife, and our grandkids to go out and check all of our houses. One of my grandsons had to do a sort of show-and-tell of his Spring break. He is five. He drew a picture of a bluebird house with a sparrow spooker on it. I would have loved to have heard him explain to his teacher and kindergarten class what a spooker was.

Comments (7)