SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ohsoblue77

Swallow Dilemma at site #2 (Urgent!!)

ohsoblue77
13 years ago

I have 2 box pairs here at home. The good news here is that box #2 in my 1st pair has some grass in it and when I checked the bluebirds showed up so maybe it was them?

Anyhow at site #2 there are 2 UN-PAIRED boxes somewhere around 100 yards apart. Last year both had 1 bluebird pair. I was astonished when a 2nd BB pair showed up!

Well now those irritating swallows are taking BOTH boxes! One already has a completed swallow nest. The other I swapped for a new box and the damn things were dive bombing me! (Excuse the language, thank you) The blues were out there today near the box with the swallow nest. The swallows got a head start when they checked out the newly-empty box after successfully trapping and euthanizing a male HOSP.

My paired site has 4 boxes, 2 pairs, with boxes spaced exactly 20 feet apart, near 100 yds to the nest pair. I've had swallows and bluebirds nest this close peacefully but with fighting over who got what box.

My question is, I have no more supplies for mounting more posts, so how about trying the back-to-back method mentioned on sialis? I have multiple un-mounted boxes (although they aren't the best) The other problem is there isn't really any more room for more poles unless I want problems with predators jumping out of nearby trees (There is fencing and trees, so I only really have the necessary space and habitat for 2 boxes)

But I must ask, why must there be SO MANY SWALLOWS?! Who out there is forgetting about our bluebirds?! Every year I see more and more TRES, get dive-bombed, and annoyed. The birds are TYRANTS. They are almost as bad as HOSP with the exception that they won't harm adult bluebirds. If anyone here has nothing but swallows, PLEASE, take the boxes down! You are only causing more harm than good! It's pointless to put boxes out with blues in mind but let the boxes get infested with Tree Swallows all the while further hurting the already low bluebird population. TRES don't need any help! They are surviving just fine! Just like House Wrens. Purple Martins and Bluebirds seem to be the only species left with trouble surviving. I do of course realize the nature of our blues is the problem. They have been beat to the boxes this year by the swallows. They don't seem to care very much. They laze around for weeks checking out boxes but doing nothing.

okay that was a lot. But help would be appreciated! For the 2nd year in a row these dang birds have me flustered and irritated. I want to try the back-to-back method. Anyone hear ever used it?

-Tim-

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz