SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momdino

My first taste of Heirloom

momdino
16 years ago

I've grown tomatoes off and on for about 25 years, but always varieties like Better Boy, Early Girl, Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes, just your basic hybrids that everybody has. But this year, with a new garden, and a major case of tomato envy after discovering this site, reading posts and drooling over pictures and descriptions, I decided this was the obsession for me!

I chose my heirlooms based on Carolyn's book (Thank you, Carolyn, for such a wonderful reference) and recommendations from posts on this site - Brandywine, Red Brandywine, Kellogg's Breakfast, Box Car Willie, Purple Cherokee, Aunt Ruby's German Green and some Hybrid cherries, Sun Gold and Black Cherry. I grew from seed, hardened off, planted in well composted soil, supported with concrete reinforcing wire cages, and did not worry about the half shaded yard (If gonefishing can grow with afternoon shade, so can I).

This evening we had our first taste of a Cherokee Purple-- Amazing! Indescribable. Just, literally, the best tomato we had ever tasted. That's all it took. I now understand the passion that you all bring to this endeavor. I am so looking forward to tasting each and every variety I've growing in my garden. And next year? Mortgage Lifter and Arkansas Traveler and Black Krim and Lemon Boy and.....

Anyway, thanks to all for your knowledge and experience!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County