SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gibby01_gw

bluebird siting..question

gibby01
12 years ago

This morning hubby saw a bluebird, and I looked and saw him too. there are 2 boxes in the front and he was in and out of both of them. an hour later, saw a tres in the one (new) box. Now I don't see any. would the blue leave b ecause the swallow was in and out of the new box or is it normal for him to leave and Mama come back later to pick her box? The swallows were in the old box last year. Opinions? I sure hope they decide to move in.

Comments (4)

• kendra2003
    12 years ago

I usually have TRES in one box and Blues in the other. They have never bothered each other. These are paired boxes and are only about 30 feet apart. Hopefully each of them will pick a box and you'll get to host both species. Sometimes the Blues will check out a box and not chose it. But as long as they know it is there, you might get lucky. I sure hope so. Best wishes.

• gibby01
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, i hope so too, he did see one earlier in the season, he must have been househunting too and went elsewhere. Anyway, doesn't the female come a few days later and make her decision? seems I read that somewhere, .These houses are probably about 30 ft. apart too. I wish they would both move in! The blues in the new box, properly mounted and the swallows in the old box, mounted on an electric pole, where they lived the prior two years (I don't know if they were the same ones). thanks for your response.

• sagrinin
    12 years ago

I believe I read somewhere that the male finds a box but the female makes the final decision where to build her nest.

• gibby01
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Today when I came home about 5pm, there was a male and a female checking out both boxes, Now i don't see them, they must be still househunting. I hope they pick me!!! there are mealworms in store for them! Please pick me, pick me!!! At least there is still a chance!!!