SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_frome_ky

Yikes! 'Bigfoot' is back

rachel_frome_ky
15 years ago

A few weeks ago I put up a Cuddeback game camera because of a huge, round, 36-inch-stride track next to our pond, and because of my neighbor claiming to be approached by a haf grown black jaguar over a year ago.

Well, we were intending to go on top of our mountain and watch the aerial Woodcock displays tonight, but as I passed the Cuddeback, I found these huge tracks just behind camera range.

Possible jaguar tracks, showing 27 1/2 stride

From 2-24-09, Tracks and scat

I picked leaves and debris out of the muddy track and took a photo next to a tape measure.

Possible jaguar tracks, showing 4 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch dimensions
{{gwi:1358021}}From 2-24-09, Tracks and scat

I circled the pond and found more tracks in the mud and grass, plus hair-wrapped five-inch tapered scat

From 2-24-09, Tracks and scat

Possible jaguar scat, showing 4 X 4 inch track next to it
{{gwi:1358023}}From 2-24-09, Tracks and scat

I got online and found almost identical tracks and scat in a jaguar link, then I began trying to find someone to help me positively identify the tracks one way or the other, but so far I flunked out. One website said that jaguars often walk with Indians in the Amazon and even have been known to come out of the jungle and play with the children.

I remembered how my neighbor said the big cat came up behind him and slapped his leg gently.

Well, if I get my nerve up, I still plan to go see the the Woodcocks tomorrow up on the hayfield...I think

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor