SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trailerparkbirds

Help:Documentation for oval 1 3/8 x 2 1/4 hole

trailerparkbirds
15 years ago

For many years when making Eastern bluebird houses I've been making the oval holes 1 3/8" x 2 1/4" with the impression that these holes are better to have then the standard 1 1/2" holes because they deter sparrows more because they do not like the small holes because it is a tighter squeeze. I've been wanting to document this though, but in attempting to find an Internet link that documents this I have come up empty handed. I've done a little bit of searching on sialis site but couldn't find anything, maybe I'm blind. I've also searched a few other Bluebird Internet sites but came up empty handed. Maybe I'm not searching enough or am blind or not using the correct search words. Never the less if anyone can help me it would be appreciated.

One thing I've consider if there is no advantage to makeing an oval hole then I will stop making the oval hole and go with the standard 1 1/2" hole. And if the advantage is really really small advantage then I'll stop making the oval holes. There are other things I can do to deter blue birds like the filament lines.

trailerparkbirds

Keith

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH