SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluebirdbabe

TRES are back...not good....cold and rainy weather

bluebirdbabe
13 years ago

I go through this every year the poor TRES come back to Michigan to be greeted by crappy weather!!! I worry about them, but somehow they survive. Blues are checking out a box and HOSP are putting crap in a box in the field.....not for long though.

Karen

Comments (5)

• lisa11310
    13 years ago

Hey Lady! I was just thinking about you yesterday! Hope you have a good season this year! My TRES are not back yet. I am starting to see more bugs. The next 3 warm days should bring them out. Pond is up and running, so far everybody looks good in there. I got my car fixed so If you still need fish let me know!

• bluebirdbabe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Lisa!!! I was thinking about you too :) Yep...the TRES are here flying around the yard and have choosen a box, well at least they keep landing on it. The blues (male blue) have picked a box..the female hasn't decided yet. and then I have to get the hosp that picked the box wayyyyyyyyyyy out in the field. Gonna make me work to take them out. Pond is not up and running yet. I don't think I'm gonna do fish again. I still hate the fact that all of mine died :( we had them for 5 years. Here's hoping for an awesome blue season!! Keep in touch

• ohsoblue77
    13 years ago

Here in Northern Ohio my TRES arrived back the 2nd to last week of march.

It was crazy today! At my paired boxes a swarm (not uncommon) was going wild. One swallow pair was defending one box while the others were checking out the 2nd one. And another pair stayed on the ground and fought for minutes on end! Just tumbling with each other in the grass and it was clearly NOT mating!

GOOD NEWS! Saw Mr And NEW Mrs. Blue today. He was perched on a stake in front b/w the two boxes. She was perched behind the boxes in a tree. He has shown interest in the 2nd box (opposite the TRES) and it remains vacant. But they haven't shown any extreme interest...then again I'm not around in the mornings on the weekdays. The new female hasn't been on the boxes too much. Hoping they start building soon because I'm pretty sure they had a completed nest this time last year.

My 2nd trail of two boxes BOTH have HOSP. My backyard boxes have no HOSP at the moment. So while the battle here appears over...looks like it just started at my other trail. Where I haven't seen ANY blues. Things are definitely behind from this time last year!

• lisa11310
    13 years ago

OhSo,Last year was an early year for my Blues, I even thought I may get a 3rd nesting (nope). In my (now to be 8 years) I have only NOT had an egg on my Birthday 2 x. Last year where they were a full week early and my 2nd year where we didn't get one until Mothers Day. The Blues were scarce today. I was outside most of the day, no chattering, but I did see the Male briefly check out one of the boxes. I think I am going to get a pair of Dees in a box this year! YIPPE! I think the male Blue came to show the Dees he was also interested in that box. I got plenty of boxes and hole reducers.....Hoping I have Blues Dees, and Trees this year!
    Coffee on the deck, Tree Frogs singin! Spring is here!

• ohsoblue77
    13 years ago

It sure is Lisa! It is going to be 60 and sunny here tomorrow! And my blues are finally back at it! I saw the male perched multiple times on one of the boxes of my pair. On the opposite box was a TRES. No fighting! They appear to have their boxes chosen and standing guard! And Mrs. Blue is getting closer and closer to that box!

I have HOSP to trap tomorrow (Neighbor's PUMA house and boxes at other trail...80 on sunday! 50's and 60's next week. Is this NOT the PERFECT forecast for nest building?! Seeing the blues so much more active, a beautiful forecast, some things to do, having the TRES...I am SO excited! There's much more to happen in the coming weeks with nest building, hummingbirds returning, trees blooming...it's gray now but full fledged spring is on its way! And I sure can't wait! I just LOVE spring and summer! My boxes are so out in the open though that I've never had Dees...they are nice birds. But I absolutely love those beautiful insect eating Bluebirds, Swallows, and Martins! It reminds you that the battle vs. the HOSP MUST go on! Good luck Lisa! Because the season will get very active very soon!