SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fred_in_maine

P? K? Or Leave Them Alone?

Fred_in_Maine
16 years ago

I have a serious genetic disability. I was born without that part of the brain that allows people to understand fishing or gardening. Ive been fishing for over 15 years and IÂve caught exactly 7 fish. And in Maine for crying out loud! An anglerÂs paradise.

Last year I made the logical decision to abandon the easiest hobby in Maine (fishing) to try my luck at the most difficult hobby in Maine (gardening).

It is not easy to grow tomatoes in Maine. We have slightly over 3 months to get everything right before the first frost.

I learned two important lessons last season.

1) If you neglect to water, foliar feed and fertilize your plants they will die.

2) If you devotedly spend the necessary time and effort to water, foliar feed and fertilize your plants they will die.

I have no idea what IÂm doing right or wrong but so far this year my tomato plants are looking good in this short Maine season.

They are still small compared to most photos IÂve seen on this Website, but all I can reasonably expect at Week 5 in this brief Zone 4-5 growing season. The weather is ideal and I hope to see some good growth before the early September frost.

I am beginning to understand that N is not a good thing to overdo with tomatoes; that there comes a time when P and K become invaluable. Now that my small plants are flowering and some small green tomatoes are beginning to appear I wonder what to do next. Is it time to give them a small dose of P or K? Or simply leave them alone?

Fred in Maine

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Rodriguez Construction Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading Home Builders in Franklin County, OH