SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lazypup

Downey Woodpecker 3ft fom camera

lazypup
14 years ago

I have been toying with different methods to get closeups but the suet feeder is 50 ft from my window.

I finally hit upon the solution. The camera is mounted on a tripod 3ft from the suet feeder and i am triggering it with a wireless shutter release from inside the house.

The attached photo is one of the first attempts to use this setup but I can see that it has promise.

Comments (5)

• rachel_frome_ky
    14 years ago

That's a great idea-gorgeous photo!

• lazypup
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This system seems to be working fine but the wireless shutter release uses CR2 Lithium Ion batteries, which are $6.98 each and at 25 degF they only last about 3 hours, however I found a source for two rechargeable batteries and a charger for under $20 on Ebay.

I was concerned that the camera might not work well at that temp but it is doing fine, of course you have to leave the power on, which reduces battery life to 4hours, but that is not a problem because the Pentax *ist DL uses four standard AA batteries and I already have 24 rechargable AA's.

• kendra2003
    14 years ago

That really is a great idea. I have tried using my remote shutter attachment, but that only gives me about three feet. A wireless shutter release is something I need to look into. Thanks for posting the picture and the idea.

• gldno1
    14 years ago

I say it is working! That is a spectacular shot of the Downy.

• lazypup
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Check out Ebay.I found my wireless shutter release for under $20 with free shipping.

Also, if the wireless shutter release for your camera uses CR2 batteries I would strongly suggest you get a couple rechargeable batteries because the batteries are $7 each and only last about 3 to 4 hours in the cold. A pair of rechargeable batteries and charger are under $20 on Ebay.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!