SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christy2828

Bluebirds or Purple Martins?

christy2828
12 years ago

I am considering putting up a house this year. I know I would enjoy it and so will my kids. I have see both bluebirds and purple martins in my backyard. We live in a rural neighborhood that has less than half of the plots developed, each of which is an acre. There is a small line of tall pine trees running the back of my property along a ditch, up to two trees deep and beyond that more field. I've been here for 6 months and have not seen one starling or HOSP (yay!!). I have a few questions. Can you have both bird houses up? Which is the easier of the two? Also, I've read that bluebirds are territorial and will only nest in one box but I often see two of them back to back. Is that so a wren (or other bird) has a spot to nest and won't use both so the bluebird gets one? Thanks! Christy :)

Oh, the only predator that I have noticed around here are hawks and I once heard an owl. However, a lot of these fields are overgrown and full of mice - that seems to keep them quite busy, especially after they mow one every once in awhile.

Comments (14)