SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen_pgh

Lower tomato leaves dying

karen_pgh
15 years ago

We have five tomato plants. Two San Marzano and three beefmaster. The San Marzano are suffering from massive leaf curl and the lower branches are dying. The plants are about 3 foot tall and have some decent fruit and flowers. New growth looks good.

Two of the beefmasters are over five foot and look really healthy, no leaf curl and only a few lower leaves show signs of dying. The third is half the size of the other two, and one half of the plant has leaf curl and half does not!! This smaller plant also has tons of flowers and fruit compare to the other two.

I'm not too concerned with the leaf curl as I think the plants are stressed because we have had massive rainfalls here over the past 4 weeks. I'm concerned more about the lower leaves dying. Is that just natural age of the plant, or a sign of stress. Could it possibly be some disease? Should I cut the leaves off?

I'm also curious if anyone knows why the difference in size and amount of fruit on the beefmasters. They were all approx the same size when planted. It's also strange that half of the plant has leaf curl and half does not. There are two distinct main trunks if that makes any difference.

All opinions are welcome! Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner