SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moochops

Well, there's always next year....

moochops
16 years ago

Hi folks. Tomato season is over here in north-west UK. It never really started. Last year was my first in the garden. Started seeds very late at the end of May (being a noobie) but got a reasonable crop of cherry toms (an italian hybrid) then frost came and didn't get the chance to taste the larger variety which was an Alicante as they didn't have time to ripen before the frosts set in.

This year was very different. I spent the whole winter researching and bought some heirloom seeds - Brandywine Sudduth, Yellow Pear,Sophie's Choice, Omar's Lebanese (wanted a big one!) and also had Gardener's Delight & Roma I bought Carolyn's book and was hooked. I started seeds end of March and invested in a fancy 200w growlight. Spent more money on shelving and growing media. The seedlings did fantastic and I set them out in glorious weather in the middle of May. They had one week of sunny spring weather and then the rain sent in incessantly. Despite the rain, they continued to grow rapidly in their large grow bags which we use commonly in the UK and prevent the need for mulching.

Last week I went to visit the in-laws for the weekend. I had given them some marmande and brandywine sudduth seedlings I had left over. Theirs are doing great in a cheap 5' polythene greenhouse that they bought. Mine are outside. Anyway I returned home rather envious and discovered that in the space of only a couple of days all my plants had taken a turn for the worse. The Yellow Pear was a blackened soggy mess. Sophie's choice looked bad too. In fact all the plants had started their demise. The difference betwwn mine and the in-laws' makes me sure that that the fact they have been uncovered and wet all the time is the cause. Early blight? Late Blight? who care's? they're gonners. 4 days on and I only have 2 of 16 plants in the garden. Praying for some sunny weather but again we have a warning of further heavy rain on Friday and they both look terrible.

Daconil is unavailable in the UK as far as I can tell. we can get Dithane which contains Mancozeb which I believe is effective for prevention of blight but I have a garden pond full of frogs and I've read both these products are very harmful to aquatic life.

So, on to next year. My garden isn't particularly big so can't have a greenhouse but I know i MUST cover my toms from the rain somehow. Mine grow in a row against a long fence which does get around 8 hours of sun each day. Any ideas on how to make a cheap, long greenhouse?

Anyway, just goes to show, one can be prepared, research, lovingly care for seedlings & give your toms the best possible chance. But nobody can beat the weather & fungal diseases.

Hope you all have a great tomato season. Thanks for all the posts on this forum as I've learnt a huge amount. Now I'm off to look for a weather forum and find out when this global warming thing is supposed to reach these shores.

Regards,

Mike.

Comments (4)