SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
missa_gw

any one ever hear of a pig nut tree?

missa
20 years ago

When i mention to fellow workers and people i may meet here and there , sometimes in conversation we talk about picking walnuts and other edible nuts but when i mention that i pick pig nuts i get this confused look by many people, i guess they are not familiar with this term of word. Some say that the nut im picking is a black walnut but i disagree. however im not completely positive. I live in the N.E, in Massachussetts. The nut i pick or collect ...because it drops after a good frost had usually 5 sections i think... for a husk and its a bright green in color.When its ripe they can usually be pealed open. Many a time when they hit the ground, the nut falls out. The nut or shell is light tan in color.it measutes 3/4 of an inch wide from top to tip and about 1/4 of an inch wide. The shell is hard, oval in shape, a little flat and has a point at one end. The flesh inside is sweet like a pecan! And resembles the same shape and texture of a pecan or walnut.

All i know about this nut is that generations in my family pick these nuts and they were always known to us as pig nuts. I can remember as a young girl my grandfather and my father taking me in the fall to pick these. It was one of those family traditions......

Please NAME THAT NUT! THAAANKS! ;) Missy

Comments (10)

Sponsored