SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

Moving moment in my woods

catherinet
17 years ago

Hi everyone,

When we moved into this house around l982, there were alot of trees, but no oaks. I was disappointed, since they take awile to grow. On one of my walks through our woods one day, I found a little chinkapin oak seedling. I was so excited! Well, life happened, we had kids, work, health issues, etc., etc. I didn't take many walks for a long time. About a month ago, I took a walk back into the woods, to see what my husband had accomplished, in clearing out the invasive honeysuckle. I stood where I thought that chinkapin oak seedling had been, and I didn't see it anywhere. I was sad. I was betting a deer or rabbit had eaten it. I should have protected it better.

Then I turned around and here was this huge trunk......about 1 and1/2 to 2' in diameter. I followed the trunk up to see what kind of leaves it had. It was very tall. And guess what? .......it was that oak seedling!! All I could do was hug it.

It was like suddenly I realized how quickly life goes by. When I think of that oak, I keep hearing "Sunrise, Sunset" from Fiddler on the Roof, in my head. lol.

Anyhow.......it was just an amazing, sad, happy experience!

Comments (11)

Sponsored