SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kawaiineko_gardener

tomatoes not ripening/ripening slowly

I had this problem last year too; however last year I grew two roma tomato plants from seed.

By the time they started to blossom and set fruit, it was September; since my growing season is so short, it was too late for them to ripen and mature.

I figured out why people use transplants where I live.

I used transplants for my tomatoes, and set them out May 30th. However despite using transplants I'm still having this problem occur again this year.

The three varieties I have are cherry, roma, and slicers; the cherry take about 60 days to ripen, the Romas about 70-80 days, and the slicers about 80 days.

The cherries have set fruit, but they're immature and green; some are hard, tiny, and a dull green color, and others are larger, softer, and have a shinier green.

The romas have just started to set fruit, but they're nowhere close to ripening.

I know with some veggies, that if temperature extremes occur (too hot, too cold, or just a general fluctuation in temperatures) this stresses the plant out and reduces yields, or slows maturity time. I also know with some veggies that if it gets too hot, that this will interfere with fruit ripening. Do these rules apply to tomatoes too?

If you overcrowd the containers (put too many plants in too small of a container) then will this cause tomatoes not to ripen, or delay ripening? I have three romas in a 30 gallon container, 3 cherries in 30 gallon container, and 4 slicers in a 30 gallon container.

I'm just wondering why this keeps happening and what to do about it, I don't know why this keeps happening, nor do I know what to do to remedy it because I don't know what's causing the problem. Until recently it's been in the mid to high 80's, and mid to high 90's. So I'm wondering if the reason the fruit isn't ripening is because it's been too hot and dry? There has been very little rain.

I water the plants every evening, but I'm wondering if I should water during the day so the soil is kept moist during the hottest part of the day?

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting