SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
louster_gw

Help!!! Japanese Beetle Attack....

louster
15 years ago

A week or so ago, they started in on the potatoes...they seem to prefer the Red Pontiacs. I go out there twice a day with my bucket of soapy water and take a lot of pleasure in seeing the little buggers struggle and drown. I was not too worried, as the potatoes have flowered and are starting the process of dying back. But this morning, I found one....just one on one of my tomato plants. Last year, they didn't bother them at all. Has anyone had them infest tomatoes? If they do take up residence in the tomatoes, what can I do?

Last year I bought one of those Japanese Beetle traps, but then was told not to put it up close by, as it will attract all the beetles around to your yard. The only other place I could put it, where it would be upwind, was quite a distance away, and I didn't think it did all that much good.

We live in the country, in a little development where there are only 9 houses on our street, and are surrounded with agricultural areas on all sides.

I used Milky Spore powder this spring, but realize it will take a few years until it takes effect, and even at that, it will not stop the ones that come in from all around.

Any suggestions??

Comments (4)