SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
evejk

New Gardener Needs Winter Help

evejk
16 years ago

Hi All,

I am a new gardener. I planted my first garden this spring! (Yay me!! I found out how much I really love it.)

I am happy to see a region specific forum. Though I am in Chicago, the weather is the same--please do not throw your rotting vegetables at me! I know this is a Wisconsin forum, but you all seem so knowledgable!) Also, I went to high school in Kenosha! And my sister-in-law lives in Bristol!
I have a few of the basics down: cut back/pull up annuals, remove leaves and weeds, mulch and plant bulbs, turn the soil, etc... But I have a few specific questions...

Can green bell peppers really survive winter as perennials here? Or do I have to pot them and bring them inside? If so, how do I do that? Can I cover them and hope they survive? I would love it if they could be saved somehow. Mine were about 6' tall and gave beautiful peppers.

Are strawberries and tomatos annuals or perennials?

What does it mean to cut back? (How much should I leave of the plant? Just a few inches of stem or do i cut back to the roots?)

Should I cut back my New York Astor? It was such a beautiful purple that I had to pick it up. I planted it in late August... Can it survive the winter?

ANd lastly, what is the best mulch to use around here? The winds are rough so should I use the brown mulch that looks like chunks of bark? or is there something else?

Thanks all for your help!

Eve K.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH