SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lauren_stl

How would you create this 'mini' woodland ?

Lauren_StL
18 years ago

Hi there! I'm normally over in perennials, but have been popping in here lately and have really appreciated your knowledge on woodland plants. We live in the city, so I'm quite jealous of those of you who have real land. We have an area of our yard that we're getting ready to try to convert into a mini woodland for our kids - reminiscent of the real woods and creeks we got to play in growing up. The area is on a slope and has plenty of mature shade trees already established (oak, hickory mainly). It also has two mature dogwoods and we've planted 5 redbud seedlings last year. The ground right now is just a sad excuse for a lawn, but it does keep the erosion down.

So, how would you suggest that we go about laying this out? Do I kill all the grass that's there? Do I mulch over everything? I want to have some intertwining paths, do I lay those out now? As you can see, I'm just not sure the best way to get started, and I don't want to look back in 5 years and say, "hmm - I really screwed that one up!"

Thanks again for already educating me on the woodlands gardening idea, and TIA for help on this.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus