SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lillardsford

Brandywine Tomato (dying from top)

LillardsFord
11 years ago

This is my first year growing an heirloom tomato (actually any tomato). I live in Central VA, we've had a hot, dry and humid summer so far. I have 12 Brandywine and 12 Yellow Pear tomato plants. All of the Yellow Pear plants are doing very well and are loaded with fruit. The Brandywine on the other hand are struggling. When I first transplanted them, it took a couple weeks for them to adjust and start growing. Throughout June they seemed to be doing well, even started blooming. But only a few fruit set. I have removed 2 small green tomatoes from 2 of the plants because I think they have BER. The other green tomatoes (on the other plants) seem to be okay, the bottoms are split, but otherwise healthy.

So, you can imagine how surprised I was to go check on things today (I didn't have time yesterday) and find one of my plants very sick! The leaves on top have yellowed and the stem has died. Looking at other leaves on the plant that are beginning to turn yellow, they have dark spots on the edges.

Is this a disease? Or a sign of poor soil (nutrient deficiency)?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz