SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberlyk57

Anyone read any good gardening books lately?

kimberlyk57
16 years ago

What else were we supposed to do until it finished raining? I'm currently reading "Making the Most of Shade" by Larry Hodgson. I would definitely recommend it to anyone with a shade garden. Easy to read, very conversational tone, great pictures. He has a few tricks in there for planting under trees that I had never heard of but sound very useful. For example, after digging your planting hole, "cover the outside of the planting hole with 5 to 10 sheets of newspaper....it should not stick up above the ground, where it will act as a wick and dry out the rootball....The newspaper will keep the tree roots out for about 18 months." This is supposed to give your plant time to adjust to its new home and be better able to fight for its share of the water and nutrients. I'm going to have to try this the next time I muck around under my trees.

Another book is "Hardy Geraniums" by David Hibberd. (Not the sun-loving Pelargoniums but the cranesbills)It's in a series called RHS (Royal Horticultural Society) Wisley Handbooks. This is a great little book filled with useful tables based on "tall or trailing" ,"short" ,"geraniums resentful of summer drought", "summer-dormant geraniums", "variegated leaves", "evergreen geraniums, "autumn color", etc, etc,.. It is written for people in the UK so some of the information regarding hardiness and bloom time may be different but descriptions of the plants should be the same.

I found both of these books through my local library's SHARE program. I love interlibrary loan, don't you? The shade book is from Union Grove's library and the Geranium one from West Bend. I just had them transferred into my Racine library and they called me when they were ready to be picked up. I spend a lot of time flipping back and forth between Amazon and my library's website and it isn't very often that there is a book I want to read that I can't get at the library.

P.S. Isn't it nice to see the sun again?

Kimberly

Comments (4)

Sponsored