SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
koreyk_gw

4th of July Winner is SunGold

16 years ago

I just now ate my first ever SunGold tomato from my first ever SunGold plant and was shocked how good it was. WOW is all I can say. Today is 4th of July and I spotted 3 cherry toms on the one plant deep down in the bush called a plant. I picked the 3 as a celebration and passed them out. I was totally shocked by how wonderfully sweet flavored it was. not just sweet but sweet with great flavor.

I am up in New England zone 5 and it is hard to get a tomato so early. Now a cherry is small but they were ripe.

I have also been shocked by what a strong growing plant the SunGold truely is. It is very strong growing with lots of branches. and lots of flowers. I expect to have a good harvest of sungold this year. I also have 6 other plants that I seeded a little later but they are moving right along also.

This will definitely become a favorite of mine if they continue to have such great flavor. Better than most big tomatoes. But then I only tried one. It is very dry out there this year. that might be having a strong effect. I like salads and expect this to work well in a salad bowl. I am looking forward to trying them in a salad.

I am really glad now that I have 6 more plants coming along. I wish I had grown this is previous years. It is definitely the best cherry tomato I ever ate.

It was not red and looked too early to pick. it was orange. one had a little split on top. I normally would have waited longer to pick but because it was the 4th of july I wanted to celebrate the day. I now suspect from the great taste that I picked it just right. It was orange with some yellow on top. I will get more practice later when hopefully I can pick a bunch at the same time.

Comments (13)