SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clarenancy

Looking for an interim solution?

clarenancy
19 years ago

Greetings!

Any advise is welcome. I need a temporary solution for my "back 40". I want to get it back to woodlands eventually but it takes time. I need a strategy that will give me the upperhand on these weeds and vines. Well, excluding Napalm.

Once this whole area was covered in English Ivy, Blue Morning Glory, Honey Suckle, Potato Vine, Bamboo, Choke Cherries, Camphor Trees and Pop Corn Trees. Oh, and Chinese Wisteria. Well, I should also mention the $*@^!*% Privet.

I've busted my derriere every spring and summer for the past 5 years whacking it back off the native trees and shrubs and planting some more natives too. I discovered a few Southern Magnolia, Live Oak, White Cedar, and others beneath the vines. I've planted a few Buckeyes, Native Azalea, Service Berry, Maple, Long Leaf Pine, Big Leaf Magnolia, native ferns and other sundry regional plants. All are doing quite well so far but only because I'm ever vigilant in ripping those ^(@*!(#& vines off every time I turn around! Sadly, the vines and weeds have more stamina than me and most of my natives are still quite young and vulnerable.

While I don't have every foul sort of tree removed yet, every year I make great progress. Progress that I seem to lose to some degree at the end of each summer.

What can I possibly plant (clover? grass seed?) that will deter the fresh weeds from taking over again? As I'm sure you've guessed by now, every weed I iradicate gets replaced by another species. The power vacuum must be filled! This year is seems to be some sort of hitch hiker bur. Whatever it is, I hope for something that I will not regret later as my trees grow and shrubs grow and make blessed leaf litter.

I will post this on the Southern or Southeastern region and native forums too.

THANKS!

Clare

Comments (9)

Sponsored