SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spmimi

new woodland gardener!!!

spmimi
19 years ago

hi all. i just wanted to introduce myself. i live in brooklyn, ny and have finally got a garden apartment!! it's mostly patio, but i have about 80 sq foot of growing area. i've always been interested in native species, but after a beautiful walk through our local botanical garden's woodlands area, i have been re-inspired to create a natural oasis. i am one who doesn't think shade is a hindrance (of course, yes i do love fresh tomatoes, oh well!) but rather an opportunity to create nuance and surprise.

so i've spent the past week shoveling out the crappy, stony soil there and adding compost and organic soil. i had doubted the research i had done (add 300 lbs of compost?? that's a crazy amount!) but alas, after several orders i realize how right they are!! i can't wait to plant, it's driving me crazy.

sorry for the babbling, i'm just so excited to finally have some green space in this city. i would love to hear any advice, suggestions, words of wisdom, words of caution from you fellow woodlanders!!!

especially about what to do with all those damn roots??!!! :)

Comments (5)

Sponsored