SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spanaval

New to woodland gardening

spanaval
19 years ago

I have plenty of gardening mileage under the belt, but no experience with woodland gardening. I don't have to go there just yet, maybe a couple of years from now, but I would like to start laying the groundwork for it now.

Basically, I have about 4 acres of wooded land, and not the first clue as to what I should do with it. There is a lot of work I need to do prior to introducing anything in it, mostly having to do with removing invasives (roses, poison oak & ivy, Japanese Honeysuckle, other thorny nasties) and cleaning up the mess the previous owner left behind (beer bottles, barbed wire, sheets of metal, hood of a car, etc.) Right now it is pretty unfriendly for meandering, because of all the trash, itchies and pokies and large amounts of fallen trees.

After the clean-up is done, and the basic paths laid out (not difficult, thanks to the herds of deer), what should I do? Where do I start learning about native woodlanders? Some parts of the woods are dry, but it is mostly pretty wet and boggy. Is it possible to bring some interest to an area like that? What are some of the better sources for such plants?

Thanks,

Suja

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths