SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
contrecoup

Brown Leaves, Green Suckers: Should I prune?

Contrecoup
12 years ago

So I've got a container garden. I just got back from ~3 weeks of vacation yesterday, and, well.. let's just say that the person I had watching my plants, I'm never asking to watch my plants again. ):

My tomato plants were hit the hardest. I'm growing Tiny Tim tomatoes, an heirloom dwarf variety which grows to be about a foot tall. They were beautifully green when I left, but it looks like they didn't get watered nearly enough; they're quite brown. Some plants are doing better than others, but they're all pretty rough.

The leaves seem to have dried up from the bottom of the plant up. Some of the leaves are so brown that they're falling off on their own. Strangely, the suckers seem to have stayed relatively green... some look incredibly healthy. The plants that are doing better are still green on the top few leaves.

Here's what I want to know: Should I remove the brown leaves? And should I remove the lower green suckers? I had been planning on removing those suckers once my plants got a little bigger, but now I'm not sure. Are they doing my poor brown plants any good, or are they mostly taking away the energy my other leaves so badly need?

I guess on the upside, if any of my plants live through this, I'll know they're very hardy plants with which to carry on the heirloom tradition... :P

Comments (9)