SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisazone6_ma

Anyone Growing Julia Child or Cherokee Purple?

lisazone6_ma
14 years ago

I'm growing both for the first time this year. I've read that the Cherokee Purple doesn't yield much, however, I have the most tomatoes on my CP plants (not many, but compared to other plants, a few is better than nothing!). Don't know if it's the weird weather we're having this year or what since this is my first experience with them. My Julia Child plants are tall and "lanky" - long stems without much leafyness to them. I have a few blossoms, but not many. Again - this is my first time with this variety and I don't know if this is the norm or it's our funky weather.

My Pompeii paste variety seems to be more hearty and bushy with lots more flowers and small tomatoes starting to form as opposed to my San Marzano plants.

I have one cherry - Sugar Sweetie. Again - my first time with all of these varieties, and my first time growing a cherry tomato ever, but it seems to have lots of flowers and tiny tomatoes forming.

I grow all of my tomatoes in-ground, inside wire cages. I dug in compost and manure and peatmoss, and I use Plant Tone and fish/seaweed emulsion to fertilize with. Everything is green and growing and healthy, just not very productive.

This year is just so strange - I don't trust anything that's happening as "normal"!! But I really can't wait to taste one of these if I ever get a ripe one!!

Lisa

Comments (22)