SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catman529

Interesting results from heirloom 'Great White'

catman529
15 years ago

I've grown heirlooms from seed this year, all purchased at Tomatobob.com. I'm growing Great White, White Wonder, Hank, Homestead and Tiny Tim. (The Homestead and Tiny Tims were planted late).

I've got 2 of the Great White plants in the garden, and they have produced 2 completely different kinds of fruit. When I should have 8-18 ounce white beefsteaks, I instead have clusters of cherry-sized white tomatoes on one plant and plum-type RED tomatoes on the other. The white cherries are great for eating off the vine, and the red ones are very good, meaty tomatoes that we will be using for pizza. But they're not what they are supposed to be, and even stranger, the plants are identical - they look, grow, and even smell the same. (A lot of you may know how the foliage of different varieties slightly differ in smell). The flowers, leaves, growth rate and everything about the two plants seem identical, yet the fruit are completely different. I have emailed Tomatobob about it and hope to get a reply. I guess it was an accidental hybrid of some sort?

Here's some pics of the two different fruits, plus some of the nice-sized White Wonders I"m waiting for to ripen.

{{gwi:1359471}}
{{gwi:1359473}}
{{gwi:1359474}}

Comments (6)