SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darndogs

Direct Sow (a.k.a. Leftovers!)

darndogs
15 years ago

I'm only at the brink of my 3rd year of gardening and still have a lot left to learn. I was finally rewarded with my first bounty of Brandywines last year, after learning that I needed to start my seeds indoors. Dugh!This year I dutifully started 4 kinds of tomato on March 15th. I used the same setup from last year, with seed starter soil, peat pots, and grow lights. Seedlings popped up just fine.

Put them in the garden June 2nd. They have grown about 2 inches in a month. I'm mystified. Soil ph is slightly below 7 in all beds. A bit high but still witin range according to the chart. Fertility of soil is OK according to my meter. I thought it might be because this spring has been rather cold.

Here's the kicker - 2 beds down (SAME EXACT SOIL) I have a rogue Brandywine plant that sprouted up in the middle of my peas. The plant is about 2 feet tall and had blossoms, and seems to be growing inches each day. I suspect it grew from left over tomatoes that I cut up and mulched back into the soil last year. (I had a lot of splitting at the end of the season due to heavy rains)

So, how is it that my seedlings, 4 different varieties) could be so lame, yet this rogue plant be so prolific? I mulched leftover tomatoes into all my beds.

Any ideas to help me figure out what I did wrong (or right) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County