SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
x5150x

new to gardening (tomato plants question)

X5150X
10 years ago

Hi guys. So I started a garden this year. Mainly lots odd tomatoes. Have some cucumber , jalapeños, (habaneros didn't sprout : ( ) cilantro , etc..

Now I learn almost everything from googling or YouTube. My plants are really healthy and tall now. Started them in early may. The variety of tomatoes happen to be lots of cherry type and only two plants that sprouted of the Big Boy (I believe to be a hybrid correct?)

Well, last night I came across a gardening book. Looked in the tomato section. I realized I hurt my chances of high yield by not pruning in the early stages. However , I did try some of the techniques I read about. Pinching off the "suckers" . It was a bit of a learning curve. As what the hell was a sucker and truss?

Anyway, I you tubed it after I had done my "pruning g" . Turns out I missed the "suckers" definition and pruned branches? Well , I didn't cut anything that had flowers on it, just extra limbs that looked thin and like they didn't belong.

This didn't hurt my plants I hope. Question is rather if anything did it just slow down the growing for a bit, until the plants heal?

Also I've been watering them Almost everyday. They are all in the ground (good soil) except for one in a 5 gallon pot. Just because. How many times should I actually water them? And is is it better in the AM or late PM? I also give them liquid fertilizer. Tomato food specifically. Got it at home depot. Didn't realize to feed them only when the flowers turned to fruit. Only one became.e damaged. But I have flushed since then.

Anyway. I hope to learn a lot. Thanks .

PS can I post more than one picture at a time ?

Comments (3)