SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulsiu

Fox Squirrel vs. Gray Squirrels

paulsiu
14 years ago

I notice two species of squirrel in my backyard. The most common is the gray squirrel which comes in several different shades. The second type is the golden fox squirrel.

So far I find the the gray variety to be more annoying. They are responsible for the constant raid on the bird feeder. I have added enough baffle that they can't get to the feeder any more, but they still attempt to strike at it hourly, resulting in a constant thud as they strike the baffle.

The fox squirrel I like better. I have never seen one go after the bird feeder. I suspect that it may be because they don't go up on the tree as much. They are however largely responsible for the pumpkin destruction. One of them have been seen climbing on the tree and then looking in the window and then prompt disappear. I didn't think much of it until I realized later it was checking to see if I was near the front door before downing another pumpkin.

However, I do have two young fox squirrel that constantly try to get into the house and constantly fights on the porch. Perhaps because they are young, they are more desperate for food than the adults.

Paul

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner