SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcpyburn

UPDATE: 2nd annual Named/Rare/Unusual Seed swap!!

jcpyburn
18 years ago

Hi, everybody! Everyone who I know has signed up so far should already have received or should be receiving shortly the instructions email from me! I have three people who I need to send me your email addy cause it was blocked, I have sent you the email through GW but please reply to it so I can have your email addy. Please if you didn't receive the email and you signed up please let me know ASAP! I am using my distribution list feature on outlook for the first time so I want to make sure that it worked! The deadline on the instructions is November 1st, that will give us three weeks to get all the seeds in. I think that I will continue to let people sign up PROVIDED they can get the seeds to me by the deadline. I will try and have all the seeds back out within one week of the deadline and I will post when I recieve the packages to let everyone know they got here! Thanks so much and if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask!!

Carly

Comments (58)

• mysticmoon
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

WOW Carly 2 days to get to TX that is a record breaker..
    Thanks for letting us have a great robin.

• barbamaman
    18 years ago

Carly -

My seed offerings are on their way! Can't wait to see what you do with all our goodies!!

Barb

• Related Discussions

UPDATE: 2nd annual whats left on my wish list swap

Q

Comments (46)
    Hi all I am finished filling I starting putting in the bonus packs as I tape them up and put the postage on I didn't realize how long it takes to get 30 envelopes ready to be mailed the ones who sent delivery confirmation have to go to the post office so that will have to wait till Monday I am going to take them all there to be mailed I have a mailbox on my corner but temperatures are going below 0 I was afraid to just drop them in my luck the mailman wouldn't have picked them up BRRRRR poor seeds. I put the extras in little ziplocs I sent the extras packs I wouldn't use also in with the bonus seeds. I think you all will be pleased I wish all of the seeds I send could have been from your want lists but we had to eat the seeds sent for the 3 girls who didn't send and most of those were pretty common seeds I tried to give you the seeds you didn't ask for as close to your wants as possible. I can't post until late Monday because I have class but I will .THANKS GIRLS Patty
    ...See More

NEW: 2nd annual Named/Rare/Unusual Seed swap!!

Q

Comments (43)
    Wow -- is there still time for me to join in? I'm kind of a newbie but from your lists I see lots that I can send to fill wishes- so here goes. Any heuchera Coleus (black dragon or others) Columbine - single colored varieties- bright colors or an all white variety is better! Lobelias -- or other trailers for pots Black, rust or peach colored flowers for my peach garden Echinachea- other than white swan or the plain purple variety(Peach would be great) Daisies - have clara curtis, giant white, and white shasta-- my three little girls just love to cut and cut all season long and far be it from me to discourage future gardeners! Coreopsis of any variety I don't have (coreopsis I have include: pink, zagreb, seashell, mahogohny midget, moonbeam) Lavendar - Spanish Pink Forget me nots Black Eyed Susan Vine - all colors Gladiola Seeds Monarda Flowering Groundcovers -- nothing invasive like vinca or ajuga I would prefer not to get-- Daturas, Moonflowers, Four O'clocks -except for the variegated kind -would love those, Cactus, Succulents or shade lovers --other than what was listed above-- I have very little shade. Also not interested in herbs and have all my veggie seeds for next year allready.
    ...See More

UPDATE: 5th Annual Rare-Unusual-Named Variety Seed Exchange

Q

Comments (87)
    To those who received packets of veronica longifolia from Lindalana it is the best name I could come up with after doing search of Chiltern catalog. Original seed was received in a mix and even that I consulted couple of people working in the horticultural business still no recognition with 100% certainty. Plants themselves are very worthy to grow- 2-3 feet tall, with flowers similar to veronica/ veronicastrum, bloom very late summer early fall at same time with japanese anemones for good 4-5 weeks. Foliage has minty smell and deep tap root does not like transplant. Architectural, reseeds moderately, does not need support, strong stems, will take sun to part shade, plant it and forget it type of care. If you figure out it is something else please let me know, that plant has been so uncommon I can not find any references ...
    ...See More

NEW: 5th Annual Rare-Unusual-Named Variety Seed Exchange

Q

Comments (88)
    Hi there- No worries Joan, I have sent it again ;*)- I am sending through your GW page- I do hope that is the right address?!? Have you checked your spam filter? Will it allow you to receive mail through GW? If you do not receive it this time I suggest you send an email to me through my GW page and I will reply back to you. Your email should accept a reply back from itself.... Sorry this info is not getting to you! I have received another envelope from Shadyside today! I have been a bit busy with seeds this morning... Probably will be an all day thing... I guess the chores will have to wait a bit (longer)!! We have a little something for everyone already- you guys are doing a great job with finding treasures for each other! Later- Julie
    ...See More
  • gardenpaw
    18 years ago

Hi Carly,
    My seeds are on their way also.
    Many thanks,
    Karen/gardenpaw

• romando
    18 years ago

Okay, I'm crappy. They're going out in the morning (Wed.) so you should have them by the weekend.
    Amanda 'romando'

• sguanzon
    18 years ago

Japanese Lavender Moonvine
    Blue Shrimp Plant
    Red Shrimp Plant
    Cannas: (Angel Pink, Apricot Frost, Apricot Ice, Autumn Dragon,)
    Agastache x Ava "Avas Hummingbird Mint"
    Asarina Red Dragon
    Cananga Odorata (Ylang Ylang)- want the vine not the tree
    Clivia
    Gaura "Crimson Butterflies"
    Hedychium 'Kinkaku' ginger
    Kallstroemia grandiflora (Arizona Poppy)
    Passiflora mollissima (Banana passionflower)
    Pelargoniums (scented type)
    Snapdragons (trailing kind)
    Stephanotis floribunda (Madagascar Jasmine)
    Sunflowers Miniature kinds all colors
    White Hyacinth Bean Vine

• romando
    18 years ago

Hi Carley;
    I actually got them in the mail this morning! Yay! (Small accomplishments, lol) Look for them soon...
    Amanda 'romando'

• jcpyburn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have received seeds so far from:

mysticmoon
    Mkruby7
    barbamaman
    Margaret6a

Thanks so much for sending so quickly!!

I was also asked a question that was very good so I wanted to clarify to everyone so there would be no question!! It is about what kind of seeds qualify. A named variety is a cultivar of a particular type of plant such as:

Coreopsis 'moonbeam'(this is just for example this variety is actually sterile!)
    Gaillardia 'fanfare'
    Veronica 'Lavendar Towers'

A named variety is NOT just listing the latin name of a common variety of flower such as:

Coreopsis lanceolata
    Gaillardia pulchella
    etc...

A seed is also not made a named variety by naming the color, ie..

Datura white
    watermelon red
    salvia purple
    Poppy red

A seed may be an exception to this IF it is a color of the type that is unusual or rare.

Now for seeds that are not named they must be seeds that are not common or easy to find seeds. Things that you wouldn't normally see at walmart or the dollar store, etc... I was asked for example about fringed bleeding heart seed. These are more unusual so they would qualify. Brugmansia seeds of most any color would qualify as rare or unusual because it is harder to find those seeds. Certain rare colors of datura would qualify, although white would not because it is so common to find on the seed exchange. Purple coneflower would not qualify but orange or yellow would even it is wasn't named. I hope this is enough examples but please don't hesistate to email me with ANY questions! I want to work with everyone to make this a most wonderful and successful swap!!

In looking at everyone's want lists it seems for the most part that everyone understands what named or unusual varieties are as they have them listed on their want list. This swap is NOT about someone sending in a bunch of common seeds labeled with the latin name or a color and getting a bunch of truly rare or named seed back! This is also not the swap to send a bunch of your extra common seeds in. I felt the need to clarify this because I was emailed and asked if certain things qualify. If you have any questions PLEASE feel free to send me the list of what you want to send and I can go over it and let you know if anything does not qualify! I am not trying to make this hard, I am trying to make it fair! It is not fair for people who send in truly exceptional and rare seeds to get common ones in return! Make sure that you are sending the proper amount of seeds in a pack. If you send in a packet with less than the guidelines unless it is very close you WILL be receiving it back!! Thanks for everyone's understanding!!

Carly

• jcpyburn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ok another update I have received seeds from these people so far:

mysticmoon
    Mkruby7
    barbamaman
    Margaret6a
    esiuol
    Gardenpaw
    Patricia531

All I can say is WOW I have seen a lot of great seeds that I have never heard of and saw one in particular that I have been wanting for some time!! I will be googling plant pics for a long time!! Thanks so much guys!

Carly

• garden_witch
    18 years ago

Hi carly,
    I just want to let you know, I will have my seeds in the mail sometime next week. I will have them in by the deadline, but it might be a little close =) I have several types of seeds drying that I collected just for this trade, and I want to be sure they are thoroughly dry!

I expect to be sending upwards of forty packets =)
    GW

• patty_b
    18 years ago

HI, I would like to join. Probably a little late for a wish list, but here goes........
    Tomatoes
    *Orange Blossum
    *Orange Russian 117
    *Kelleher's Oxheart
    *Herman's Yellow
    *Nicky Crain
    *Reif's Red Heart
    *Lithuanian Crested Pink

Pom Pom dahlia
    dahlia other than red
    Calendula Pink surprise
    Leopand's Bane
    Poppy Hen and Chickens
    Nigella Hispanic
    Calla lily other than white
    Gourd snake and Russian Doll
    Job's tears
    Thanks, Patty

• romando
    18 years ago

I hope you've gotten my seeds by now? Let me know!
    Amanda 'romando'

I know you have nothing better to do, right? *lol*

• jcpyburn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello everyone,

Ok time for another update, I have received seeds from these people:

mysticmoon
    Mkruby7
    barbamaman
    Margaret6a
    esiuol
    Gardenpaw
    Patricia531
    Unclewindy
    fgilles
    romando(Got yours today amanda!!)

We are doing really good so far! We have gotten some great seeds! We are doing great on schedule so far too! There is still another week to get your seeds to me!! Thanks!

Carly

• patty_b
    18 years ago

Carly, Seeds are in the mail! Thanks, Patty

• naturemitch
    18 years ago

Hi Carly!

Just going to the post office....my seeds are on their way!!

Looking forward to the swap!

m

• scouttiegirl
    18 years ago

Hi Carly, my seeds are packaged and ready to go out first thing in the morning. I was waiting for some to dry from all the rain we have been getting. I was able to fill many wants....hehehehehe. ~Heather

• garden_witch
    18 years ago

My seeds are also on the way =)

Shannon

• eln2002meyer
    18 years ago

Hi Carly

I mailed seeds on the 23rd Let me know if you received...

• naturemitch
    18 years ago

Hi Carly,

Just double checking if you received my seeds? And how are we doing for all seeds received?

Just curious :)

m

• Clod
    18 years ago

Hello. How about an update, Carly? Wasn't the deadline for getting seeds in yesterday? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks. Clod

• jcpyburn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello everyone,

Sorry for the delay in posting! I had every intention of posting an update yesterday and I just didn't get around to it! I have been away from my computer over the weekend and monday due to some personal situations so I haven't really been able to post. I have received packages from these people:

Julie_MN
    Scouttiegirl
    Michelle S in wisconsin(not sure of GW name haven't looked it up yet!)
    eln2002meyer
    Tonysarver
    esiuol
    garden_witch
    Raney10
    Patricia W. in california (See above note!)
    Karen B from indiana
    barbamaman
    Margaret6a
    Patty b in ohio (see above)
    Romando
    Fgilles
    Toni E in california (SA)
    UncleWindy

Whew ok so far that is 17 so far not counting the mail today which has not come yet. I may have listed your GW name as being received before and may only have your name and state listed above but I am going through and visually checking envelopes and some don't have their GW name in them and I don't have my list to match it up handy. I will post if I can't figure out someone's Gw name. I will be starting to work on these on Friday and I hope to get them out by the middle of next week. I will continue to update on whose seeds I have recieved daily so that everyone knows. If your seeds are on the way and are going to be cutting it close please let me know at least that they are on the way. ALL SEEDS SHOULD HAVE ALREADY BEEN MAILED OUT TO GET HERE ON TIME!! Unless of course you want to send them priority but that is up to you! Thanks again for all the participation! There are some great seeds in here and I think everyone will be happy! Thanks

Carly

• barbamaman
    18 years ago

Carly -

You're terrific!!!

Barb

• jcpyburn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks barb! You are too! I received the brug cuttings in the mail today, man those things are huge!!! If those are the cuttings I would love to see the plants!! Already got them in water! Thanks a bunch!!

Additional note: I received seeds from Sree today(sorry don't know the GW name right offhand!)

Thanks

Carly

• romando
    18 years ago

This is gonna be so much fun...
    Thank you so much, Carly, for putting this together!
    Amanda 'romando'

• Mint_NY
    18 years ago

carly,
    This is sree..GW: Mint_NY. I joined 4 days before the deadline, glad that i made it. Thanks you so much for organizing this.
    ~Mint_NY

• mysticmoon
    18 years ago

Hi just so you know I am Toni E. In Cali Hope that helps. Dont over work yourself sweetie take care
    Toni

• jcpyburn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello everyone! Sorry I haven't posted an update in a while. I am up to my eyeballs in seeds! I am working on this and am hoping to start getting these out by the end of this week! I will post whose I mail when I mail them and if there are any changes I will also post! Thanks

Carly

• mysticmoon
    18 years ago

Make sure you keep enough space to breath around lol.
    Dont over do it sweetie!!!!

• jcpyburn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello everyone! Thanks mysticmoon, I am trying not to let them overtake me! It is taking a bit longer to get the seeds sorted than I expected, though. I appreciate everyone's patience! One day last week I spent four hours working on them!! I am making progress however and I have five packages that are going out today. They are:

Romando
    Gardenpaw
    Scouttiegirl
    Barbamaman
    Raney10

I spent two hours on the these five alone so I am going to do some each day until they are all done. I had expected to get all the sorting and packaging done in one day but that is just not happening. With so many seed packets I am going through them all for each person to try and give as many of their wants as I can. I do appreciate the people who marked who their seeds were for that has helped a lot!! Well now I have to go and clean my house and wrap christmas presents and...

Carly (who is climbing out of an avalanche of seeds as we speak!! :)

• mysticmoon
    18 years ago

OH MAN I never thought about putting my name on each packet that would of been helpful darn it well next time we all will have to do that and maybe make it a rule of thunb so as not to totally over whelm the host of the robins.
    Thanks for the heads up and will do so from now on.
    Toni

• jcpyburn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi mysticmoon,

No I didn't mean that you needed to put your own name on them, I meant that if you were filling a specific want for someone else that you marked it to go to them!! LOL!! You didn't have to put your own name on them! I assigned everyone a number and marked all the seed packets they sent in with that number and then put them all together in one big box and then redistribute! Don't worry I am not totally overwhelmed(Yet :)) I may be later this week though I will let you know! LOL!! ;)

Carly

• eln2002meyer
    18 years ago

It feels like Christmas will be coming to my mailbox soon.... :-)

• mysticmoon
    18 years ago

How cleaver of you never thought about that either lol. Well I should of done that too but not sure if I was able to fullfill anyones wish lists. I hope I had at least a few to go out to someone. lol.
    Glad that you are ok and not too berried deep in seeds lol.
    Take care
    Toni

• barbamaman
    18 years ago

Carly -

You are entirely wonderful.

My mailbox is waiting!

Barb

• romando
    18 years ago

I got mine today! Thank you so much, Carly! And thanks to everybody for all the wonderful things you all sent in! I definately got some goodies! I'm so glad I joined in!
    Amanda 'romando'

• scouttiegirl
    18 years ago

I received mine also, and let me tell you it was worth the wait. Carly did a wonderful job matching up some wants of mine. I received soooooo many great things. Want to also thank you for adding in things for my daughter's zoo garden. I am so happy I was apart of this swap. It will be one I will look forward to every year. Thanks again Carly, fantastic job. Hope you have a wonderful Holiday Season~Heather

I also wanted to say a special thanks to the person who sent in 6 of my wants and took the time to check my list over on my exchange page.

• barbamaman
    18 years ago

Mine are here,too, and it is the greatest assortment! Thanks so much, you thoughtful people who sent me some things I've been hoping for. New foxgloves to grow! Shade specials for my woods! Special things that will make me smile all season long!

Carly, this is a super good one! Thanks sooo much for all your time and care.

Now off to Google...

Barb

• mysticmoon
    18 years ago

OMG you are all so awesome I had two lovely people send me some seeds on my list and WOW they are fantastic seeds. I also wanted to say that out of the huge envie only 3 packs of seeds did I already have now how great is that? To have that kind of odds is unreal. You gardeners are the best people ever. Seriously you are all the kindest people on the web I tell ya. Never met more lovely people in all my days. I have been truly blessed in finding you all.
    Thank you for the bottom of my heart heck from head to toe I thank you for making my garden to be a fantastic place to live I cant wait till spring . HURRY UP AND GET HERE SPRING!!!!!

Thank you very much
    Toni

• Julie
    18 years ago

Whew- I am stll breathless-
    My package arrived on Friday. I have spent all weekend with my package and still don't have it all gone through!
    Amazing- Wonderful- Delightful- Supercalifragilisticexpealidosius!!! Are just a few of the discriptive words I can think of while thinking of how folks worked to full-fill wishes- and how Carley worked to see that folks got what they wanted- and how I feel while learning about all these new treasures! I have been setting several aside for dear friends who helped me to full-fill others wishes by donating some of their seed!
    I know this was a lot of work- but Carley- please tell me you will do this again next year!! Please oh Please!!
    Thanks to each of you for making such a great Round Robin!
    Julie

• jcpyburn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I am so glad that everyone is happy so far! I tried to give everyone a good mix! I am still working on this and i hope to have the rest of these out by tomorrow or wednesday. I just seem to keep getting busier and busier!! LOL! I will try and keep this updated on who I have sent out to!

Carly

• naturemitch
    18 years ago

Hi Everyone,

O.K. you guys are really making me excited!! I am soooooo looking forward to that package. In fact the excitement keeps building!!! Carly...you are doing wonderful, and just being part of this so far has been super fun(and I don't even have any seeds yet!:). What is going to happen when they arrive?

take care everyone...have a great Thanksgiving
    michele

• mkruby7
    18 years ago

Carly, on this post you had not listed me (see below). So I hope you did not forget me. I sent you 88 packets. And I have not gotten anything in the mail as of today. I know you may have just mailed.

PLMK. Thank you, mkruby7

RE: UPDATE: 2nd annual Named/Rare/Unusual Seed swap!! Posted by: jcpyburn z7b (My Page) on Wed, Nov 2, 05 at 15:38 Hello everyone, Sorry for the delay in posting! I had every intention of posting an update yesterday and I just didn't get around to it! I have been away from my computer over the weekend and monday due to some personal situations so I haven't really been able to post. I have received packages from these people: Julie\_MN Scouttiegirl Michelle S in wisconsin(not sure of GW name haven't looked it up yet!) eln2002meyer Tonysarver esiuol garden\_witch Raney10 Patricia W. in california (See above note!) Karen B from indiana barbamaman Margaret6a Patty b in ohio (see above) Romando Fgilles Toni E in california (SA) UncleWindy Whew ok so far that is 17 so far not counting the mail today which has not come yet. I may have listed your GW name as being received before and may only have your name and state listed above but I am going through and visually checking envelopes and some don't have their GW name in them and I don't have my list to match it up handy. I will post if I can't figure out someone's Gw name. I will be starting to work on these on Friday and I hope to get them out by the middle of next week. I will continue to update on whose seeds I have recieved daily so that everyone knows. If your seeds are on the way and are going to be cutting it close please let me know at least that they are on the way. ALL SEEDS SHOULD HAVE ALREADY BEEN MAILED OUT TO GET HERE ON TIME!! Unless of course you want to send them priority but that is up to you! Thanks again for all the participation! There are some great seeds in here and I think everyone will be happy! Thanks Carly
  • mysticmoon
    18 years ago

Julie I am amazed you are the only person I have ever seen spell this word lol Supercalifragilisticexpealidosius!!!
    It says it all right there.

Carly is the best at the round robins and I am already wanting to put my name on the list for the next RR that I so hope you will host for us. If not then you will just have to force one of us..... LOLOLOLOLOL!!!! Not sure I can do that great of a job but I would try with your help lol...... SO dont make me....
    Have a great set of holidays everyone I know one is out of the way phew on that one now on to the harder holiday.
    Toni

• jcpyburn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hello everyone, just wanted to post an update! Everyone's seeds are flying your way. Sorry for the delay in posting but I have been busy with thanksgiving and family. I hope everyone is happy with their seeds I tried to give everyone a good mix and meet as many wants as I could! Please post when you receive your package as I would love to hear what everyone thinks!! Thanks so much!!

Carly

• garden_witch
    18 years ago

Thanx for all your hard work Carly =)
    I will be watching the mailbox!
    Shannon aka Garden Witch

• Margaret6a
    18 years ago

Wow! Christmas came early to my house today! I received my seeds. Thank you so much, Carly, for hosting this RR. I got some wonderful things that I was hoping for. I know this was a HUGE job to do especially with turkey day and I really appreciate all your hard work. And thank you to you folks who pulled together seeds particularly for me. I can't tell you how much appreciate it. GW folks are the greatest!!!

• mkruby7
    18 years ago

I got my today. Thank you Carly for all the hard work and time you spent putting this together.

And thank you garden_witch I was really wanted those seeds.

mkruby7

• eln2002meyer
    18 years ago

Hi Carly
    I received my seeds today.... CHRISTMAS IN MY MAILBOX ;) Thank you so much for doing this swap, you did a fantastic job. I can't wait to start planting... I have so many things that I haven't even heard of. I am so excited.
    thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you,.... thank you

this is my first swap.. I will definitely try this again

ellen

• garden_witch
    18 years ago

THANK YOU!!!!!!

I was googling some of the packets labeled with unfamiliar latin names, lo and behold, pitcher plant! I litterally teared up! A big huge hug and many thanx to the person who sent these!
    Also thanx for the pple who sent...
    ~Aka shiso- I have been wanting this for a while, thanx!
    ~Red okra- must be a psychic trader =) I have been thinking about trying these!
    ~Hostas! Thanks for feeding my addiction!
    ~big packet of chocolate joe pye weed, thanx Raney! I do have this in my garden, and I have collected seeds, however I am just starting my online seed bank, and this is a great deposit!

And a big BIG thank you to Carly for hosting!

psst! You're welcome mk =)

• Clod
    18 years ago

My seeds arrived today. Thanks everyone. And thank you Carly for hosting this and all your hard work. Tony

• naturemitch
    18 years ago

Carly, just received my seeds and wanted to send a big thank you for hosting and running the show. And a thank you goes out to those who filled some of my want list.

And of course I love all the seeds and say thanks everyone!!!

m