SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cydonia33

need help finding a good 'winter interest' shrub for wil

cydonia33
18 years ago

Hello, all!!

I am new to posting on this forum, although I have been a poster on other forums here on the gardenweb... I love this website, and thank you all in advance for reading this thread... O.K. So I need a small shrub (4 - 8 feet) to soften an area in my front yard. This area gets full sun right now, however, my neighbor just planted a red maple and I just planted a river birch, which will (eventually) shade out the area, so I guess I am looking for a shrub that can withstand sun as well as shade. The shrub doesn't necessarily have to be an evergreen, but if it is not, I would like the shrub to have berries that the birds ignore at least until Dec., or possibly some interesting bark or something. I am looking for a shrub that has ANYKIND of wildlife value, whether it be berries, cover, nectar--- whatever... I was considering some kind of mountain laurel (elf), as it is the state flower of PA (and CT, where I grew up), but I am not quite sure what the wildlife value of this shrub is. Oh, yeah--- I am looking for NATIVE shrubs only please! Thank you all for your input. I will diligently research any and all suggestions.

Jenny

Comments (11)