SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anthony_toronto

Allrighty...how many mislabeled/mispackaged seeds should I expect

anthony_toronto
16 years ago

Last year was extremely disappointed to see that my 4 'carbon' plants that I was growing for the first time, all of which were extremely productive, turned out to be the awful tasting mr. stripey/tigerella (or a similar striped variety). Seed supplier was apologetic, sent me several packages of free seeds.

This year, I decided to order 5 more varieties of seeds from this supplier (most seeds came from another supplier though), including new seeds of my favourite, black krim (existing seeds were only a few years old, but were running low). Of 4 black krim plants, seedlings lagged the seedling from last year's black krim (which came from seeds from another supplier). One of 4 is slow setting fruit and plant is small, 2 others are performing about average in my garden (down from exceptional for the last 2 years with another supplier's seeds), and one is clearly not black krim.

I go to great lengths to avoid any seed mixups on my end, I knew when I ordered that the seeds that I was getting might not be from stock as good as the black krim seeds that I used in the past, but I did not expect to get another mixed up tomato (silly me). For next years black krim, I am going to use the few seeds that I had left from the other supplier, bag one fruit branch, and save seeds.

On top of this, 1 packet of seeds from the supplier last year had a 10% germ rate. Also, I acquired some special seeds from another supplier this year, had 7 seeds each of 2 varieties: 0 of 7 for 1 variety, 1 of 7 for the other variety. Of my other 22 varieties, average germination rate was 93% (vs. 7% total for the other 2 varieties).

Ironically, 1 black krim seed (from the other supplier) that I planted 2 years ago has turned out to be an unidentified red/pink large roundish (maybe a little flat/off round, but no ribbing) tomato, on tall bushy regular leafed plants, with fruits that have green shoulders before ripening, that turns completely red/pink when ripe, that gets a little larger than a baseball, that is mostly flesh (very small seed/gel compartments), and that tastes as sweet as candy...so not all mistakes are bad!! Successfully saved seeds from this one, produced extremely well last year, this year the 3 plants of this variety were the first (of 23) to set fruit...has been temporarily referred to by me as 'Red Krim', but I am still trying to identify the variety (maybe Arkansas Traveller, though the cross-section pics of A.T. that I have seen have had much larger seed/gel compartments than my tomatoes...will post some pics when some mature. Maybe 'Pink Sweet'??).

So, question is: what % of seeds that you have bought have turned out to be the wrong variety?

Comments (5)