SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
isoldesmama

Weeds taking over ALL of my flower beds!!!

isoldesmama
17 years ago

Help!!!

I'm spending hours every week weeding out my flower beds (of which I have many). I've been working for two years on one bed that's about 10 feet by 10 feet. I don't know what kind of weed it is -- maybe quackgrass or witch grass -- but it keeps taking over, no matter what I do. I'm an organic gardener so I'm not willing to try harsh chemicals, though I have resorted to many different applications of Scythe, an organic herbicide. To establish the bed I put down two overlapping layers of opened-up cardboard boxes, followed by about a foot of compost, into which I planted about 40 phlox plants in the fall. The weed (the kind that grows by underground rhizomes) came up in droves, but no phlox. Over the past three weekends I spent a total of about 18 hours (I know, I'm crazy) digging into the bed about a foot, pulling out as many of those millions of white rhizomes as I could possibly find. I planted comfrey root on the outsides (I know comfrey makes very intricate root systems that some people say keep out other weeds) and Dames' Rocket seeds on the inside. Just three days later the weed started peeking out, and within a week the bed was covered with green spikes about six inches high.

I don't want to give up, because this bed is at the top of a very large terraced garden, and when it's filled with the weed it looks terrible. Oh, by the way, weed cloth doesn't work, either -- I covered the surrounding paths with two layers of weed cloth and about 4-6 inches of wood chips, and the weed still comes up through that as well.

And I'd rather not use heavy mulch around my plantings, since I'm going for a naturalized look, and I want everything to spread as much as it can. But how to keep it clean in the meantime?

Any and all advice would be much appreciated from a desperate gardener --

Janice T.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio