SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
slowgarden_gw

Humane way to deter Red-winged blackbirds away from a garden?

slowgarden
10 years ago

I know I have posted on this subject in the past; forgive me but I couldnâÂÂt find it back, and I still have the same problemâ¦

I love Red-winged blackbirds when I see them in the fields and wetlands. I am a country boy, and this is one of the birds of my youth! But we live in the suburbs, and they have become quite invasive here. Not exactly a pleasant garden bird, this for two reasons: they are always aggressive around nesting sites and never seem to understand that you want them no harm (unlike some other garden bird species); and their frequent alarm calls are high-pitched, loud and piercing. We have an ageing cat, strictly kept indoors or on a leash (for short and monitored periods), that never hurt a fly. When we put it on its leash in the backyard, the RWBs will go crazy with those alarm calls⦠Even when the cat is soaking it up in the solarium, the RWBs will somehow detect its reflection or something and go crazy with alarm calls⦠Other times, the cat is down in the basement, there is NOTHING alarming I can see around⦠I am working quietly in my home office, then those RWB calls come piercing the air again near my windowâ¦

I was thinking about using some of those CDs with bird alarm calls (from different species, obviously! And/or from squirrels perhaps). I could easily install a small speaker cabinet in a remote part of our lot, and play this randomly and from time to time to attract the blackbirds away from our day-to-day activities or working or resting spots, or alert them well away altogether!

Does that sound like a good, practical idea to you?

Comments (6)