SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fw_txzn7

Questions about killing nut grass sedge using roundup & newspaper

fw_txzn7
14 years ago

I live west of FWorth, TX - zone 7. My house sat vacant for over a yr before I bought it and previous to that was neglected; so now the front yard is over run with weeds - mainly purple nut sedge. Size is approx of an acre. Originally my plan was to get rid of the weeds, top with a thin layer of sandy loam, and then hydromulch with common bermuda, which is what was there before.

IÂve read about sedgehammer and image. CanÂt find sedgehammer in our area and LOWES said not to use image if I plan on hydroseeding soon. That pretty much leaves me with roundup which doesnÂt seem to be working very well with the nutgrass. IÂve sprayed three times now at 2-3 week intervals. Initially it turns brown but then keeps coming back strong. I have tried digging it up, but the ground is so compacted that much of it just breaks off -exacerbating the problem.

I WAS hoping for a green lawn this summer, but at this point IÂm willing to put it off until next year if I can get the nutsedge under control by then. The last thing I want is to waste time and resources establishing a lawn just to have it overrun again by weeds. Also I figure it will be much easier to get rid of the stuff BEFORE putting in the grass rather than afterward.

IÂve heard about something called "solarization" which is suppose to get rid of most weeds. But IÂm not sure it would reach all the roots and tubers of the nutgrass which can sometimes go to a depth of 18inches IÂve read. And IÂd like to avoid the expense of enough clear plastic to cover this large of an area.

IÂve also read about using newspaper and/or cardboard to smother it out. I like that idea because it would be more practical for me financially. (I can get a plentiful supply of both for free). Does anyone know if it would be as effective as the clear plastic?

Assuming it would, this is the plan IÂm thinking of implementing.

1. Continue treating the area with roundup a few more times. Might even try some sedgehammer (if I can locate it) or image, since IÂve pretty much lost hope of growing grass this year.

2. Rent an areator and go over the whole area since the soil is very compacted.

NOTE: IÂm thinking that I might need another round or two of weed killer after this since it may stir up some new weeds. Would that be necessary?

3. Bring in approx 20 yards of sandy loam - grade and level. Does it matter if I do this step before the next (putting down newspaper) or should I wait and do it after the newspaper is removed?

4. Cover whole area with 30-40 layers of newspaper and then top that off with large appliance cardboard to keep it from blowing around.

NOTE: IÂve read when using the clear plastic for solarization that the whole area needs to be thoroughly watered down to about 10 inches, but with my yard on a mild slope, IÂm afraid most of it would run off before soaking in that deep. Anyway, how much (if any) do you think I should water before applying the newspaper and cardboard?

5. Wait - not sure for how long, maybe till next spring????

6. PRAY!!!!

7. Check myself into a hospital for possible back problems and seek counseling for anxiety attacks. :-)

8. Uncover and hopefully be pleasantly relieved to find very little weeds before hydro mulching next summer!!!

If youÂve made it this far - sorry for the length.

Do you think this will work? Please tell me what I'm missing or if something would work better. Oh yea - I forgot to mention one very important fact - my budget is pretty limited at this pointÂ

THANKS, in advance!

Comments (6)