SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
poisondartfrog

NEW: 'Best of 2009' quick seed swap

poisondartfrog
14 years ago

Oh no! There is a lag between seed swaps. Am I the only one who misses all that harvesting, labeling and packing? I've sent in seeds to all the currently posted seed swaps I joined so I thought I would do a fast turn around swap based on best performers for 2009.

If there is enough interest (10 or more participants) here are the rules:

1. Sign up by November 10.

2. Seeds sent to me must be postmarked on or before November 28.

3. I will mail them back out by December 10.

4. No more than 3 packs each of any varieties that were top performers in your garden this season. The seeds can be from your garden or commercial seeds no older than 2008 harvest.

5. Any type of seed works as long as it did well for you; flowers or other ornamentals or vegetables. I will try to send back to you proportionally. In other words, if you send mostly veggies, you will get back mostly veggies. If you send mostly ornamentals, that is what you will receive, subject of course to what is sent in.

6. There is no minimum number of packs but the upper limit is 50 packs total. You will receive back the same number of packs you send in.

7. If you want to post a short wish list on the thread that's fine, but definitely not required. It might help people decide what to send and help me with the sorting later.

8. Send postage with your seeds equal to the amount of postage required to send your envelope to me.

I will wait to see if there is enough interest before I contact everyone with my address. If and when 10 participants sign up I will email my address to everyone.

In the meantime,

Alana

Comments (125)

• suecirish
    14 years ago

OK, finally done. My package went to the post office today.

• pearlpark
    14 years ago

Finally dropped my package in the mail.

• Related Discussions

SWAP: Spring 2009 Swap-A-Que - swap and food list

Q

Comments (150)
    Kristi I will make room thanks! What else do you want? Sillybugs I do have the crinium and will bring you one as well as a couple crown of thorns cuttings. I will be bringing a few different hedychiums or butterfly gingers. Ladygreensleves I would like to trade for the amazon I have one but have a great spot for another. Don't need the tall porterweed but if you have the native small one I will take some.
    ...See More

new: acres quick all tomato seed swap

Q

Comments (4)
    I posted on the seed exchange already. Posting here to make it official. aggieinid
    ...See More

NEW: new fresh back to school spectacular seed swap 2009

Q

Comments (20)
    Tammy, I sent you some double gloriosa daisy seeds too. I think I killed the 2 plants I dug for the NO LIMIT SWAP or I would have sent it this time. I was thinking the other day about when Brooke will have to go to school. I've got to admit I got a little misty eyed just thinking about it:( Dan, I can't wait to get all new plants. YEAH! Sorry, Just getting a little excited. I am going to be so busy between this swap and the no limit swap. Denise Denise
    ...See More

UPDATE: Secret Santa Seed Swap 2009 Second thread

Q

Comments (150)
    Woo hoo !! I received 2 cards today !! Thank you for the ox eyed daisy seeds Angela/Yotetrapper and thank you for the rudbeckia and sneezeweed lol Nancy/NLB52 !! Boy it sure is nice to find goodies in my mailbox after a long day at work !! this is awesome !! Merry Christmas !! ~Iris
    ...See More
  • poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I received seeds from maps31 yesterday.
    Have a great Thanksgiving, everyone!

• gee_oh_nyc
    14 years ago

Hi Alana,
    My seeds are in the mail! I've "tagged" some with the IDs of people who had them on their want list, but you can just remove the tags and give them to anyone you like if you have doubles.
    Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!

• ryansr
    14 years ago

Soooo, apparently I'm not so bright! I managed to send my packet to myself. I have repackaged and resent this morning via priority, and hope it gets to you in time.

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

Alana, I sent my seeds out today. You should get them by Tuesday. I hope I read the instructions right. Meaning I had till the 28th to send them.

Denise

• patti1957
    14 years ago

Alana,

I mailed my seeds today.

Patti

• snapdragon36
    14 years ago

Alana,
    My seeds were mailed out this morning.
    Debbie

• pattygrow5
    14 years ago

Alana I mailed my seeds this morning
    Patty

• winnie850
    14 years ago

Alana,
    Mine were mailed on November 24.
    Thanks!
    Gladys

• clay_lady
    14 years ago

hi
    Just a quick note-- I work retail and found out I had to work last week-- Wed. Friday and Sat. The package is ready to go to the post office monday morning-- if you will still accept it. If not I will understand. Merry Christmas Lynn

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry Lynn-I have been away. Mail tomorrow if you like. I won't be sorting until Sunday and they should make it in time. I have received several packages over the weekend. I don't have time to open them tonight to verify GW names, but I will post the details tomorrow.
    Have a good evening!
    Alana

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here is an updated seeds received list:

tergrov -seeds received
    suecirish -seeds received
    ishareflowers -seeds received
    ryanr -seeds received
    micrey -seeds received
    beverlysc -seeds received
    dirtdaddy-seeds received
    gee_oh_nyc
    conniesc -seeds received
    dem_pa-seeds received
    naturegirl236-seeds received
    maps31 -seeds received
    lisa831-seeds received
    patti1957 -seeds received
    cryptid -seeds received
    slo_garden-seeds received
    hibiscusfan-seeds received
    farmergirl2009 -seeds received
    nan-6161 -seeds received
    daisyb -seeds received
    lisam627_ohio_z6 -seeds received
    colcol-seeds received
    pearlpark -seeds received
    ramazz-seeds received
    gladgourd -seeds received
    piksi_hk
    pattygrow5 -seeds received
    snapdragon36 -seeds received
    smitties-seeds received
    jaynine -seeds received
    pufftrinket
    clay_lady
    antiqueorchid -seeds received
    katsgarden864
    julie_mn -seeds received
    poisondartfrog-have

I will wait until Sunday to start sorting to allow plenty of time for the others to arrive and will start mailing them back out on Monday. I will post as I mail them out.
    Thanks!
    Alana

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have received gee_oh_nyc's seeds.

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

Alana,I can't remember if I sent you a want list but here are a few that I am interested in if available.

Heirloom and paste tomatoes
    Jacob's Ladder 'Stairway to Heaven'
    Hosta revolution, thunderbolt or others
    Heuchera
    Peony

Alana-Thanks for hosting!
    Denise

• Julie
    14 years ago

Alana-
    I do hope you are having a wonderful time sifting and sorting and smiling while you are re packaging our return envelopes!
    You and all who sent seeds in are sure to be pleased with their new treasures in their gardens next spring!
    Thanks again for hosting this 'Best of 2009' swap!

Julie

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have clay_lady's seeds now.
    My crystal ball indicates a busy weekend with lot's of hot cocoa and spiced tea. The high temps for the next two days are not supposed to get out of the 40's...perfect timing for a seed sorting marathon.
    Have a great weekend!
    Alana

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The sorting is mostly finished! I should have no trouble having all of the packages back on their way by Thursday.
    I tried very hard not to send you back your own seeds. I hate when that happens. I cannot promise that you will not receive seeds the same as or similar to something you sent in. There were 5-6 types of seeds that almost everyone sent in; hardly surprising since we were focused on top performers, but it did make for a lot of duplicates.

I also learned some things about hosting a seed swap that I will use if I decide to do this again next year-one key instruction to participants and several organizational upgrades included. I truly appreciate your giving me the opportunity.

I did not receive seeds from 4 folks who signed up (well, probably 3, in fact. I received seeds from a zip code that were never identified and I will be sending back to that same zip)

Here is how we finished:
    shadyside-none
    tergrov -seeds received
    suecirish -seeds received
    ishareflowers -seeds received
    ryanr -seeds received
    micrey -seeds received
    beverlysc -seeds received
    dirtdaddy-seeds received
    gee_oh_nyc-seeds received
    conniesc -seeds received
    dem_pa-seeds received
    naturegirl236-seeds received
    maps31 -seeds received
    lisa831-seeds received
    patti1957 -seeds received
    cryptid -seeds received
    slo_garden-seeds received
    hibiscusfan-seeds received
    farmergirl2009 -seeds received
    nan-6161 -seeds received
    daisyb -seeds received
    lisam627_ohio_z6 -seeds received
    colcol-seeds received
    pearlpark -seeds received
    ramazz-seeds received
    gladgourd -seeds received
    piksi_hk none
    pattygrow5 -seeds received
    snapdragon36 -seeds received
    smitties-seeds received
    jaynine -seeds received
    pufftrinket none
    clay_lady-seeds received
    antiqueorchid -seeds received
    katsgarden864 none
    julie_mn -seeds received
    poisondartfrog-have

Packages were mailed to these zip codes today:

More to follow!
    Thanks, Alana

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

Whoo hoo, My seeds are coming!

Lisa

Alana, Thank you for taking the time to do this swap for us.

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

More seeds are on their way today. Many of you may notice that you have received a few more packs than you sent. A few generous gardeners sent over 50 packs so that I could beef up the envelopes of those who did not send in as many and a couple of folks sent in 50 but requested to receive fewer than that in return.
    I expect to be too busy tomorrow to mail another round, but will post the final zip codes on Thursday after I get them all in the mail.
    Here are today's:
    Happy Tuesday,
    Alana

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    14 years ago

Yeaaaaaa I can' hardly wait my seeds are on the way! Alana many thanks for hosting this swap. Definitely a happy Tuesday. Suzie

• winnie850
    14 years ago

I received my seeds today. Oh my goodness! It only took 2 days to get here, which is amazing and wonderful. Then when I opened my envelope, I was again amazed and delighted to get so many seeds. Thank you everyone.

Alana, thank you for hosting and giving me so many seeds.

I cannot wait to see these babies sprout!

Thank you everyone, for your generosity.

• slo_garden
    14 years ago

I got my seeds today also. That was really fast! Thank you so much Alana and everyone. I'm looking forward to trying a lot of new stuff.

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here are the final zips. Thanks for playing, everyone!
    44441(this one has a DC number-I left it in the car, will post it later)

Alana

• dem_pa
    14 years ago

I received my seeds today. A great variety. I can't wait to start winter sowing. Thanks to all who shared their seeds and thanks to a great hostess.

Don (dem_pa)

• jaynine
    14 years ago

I don't see my zip code anywhere--boo hoo!

• smitties
    14 years ago

Received my package today and I am very excited about the variety of seeds I found inside.

The wind has been wicked all day and the temps have been in the teens. I can already say I can't wait til spring.

Thanks Alana, it was fun.

• ryansr
    14 years ago

I got my seeds today! Thanks to all, especially our gracious hostess!

• patti1957
    14 years ago

I received my seeds today! I am so excited! Thank you Alana for all of the great seeds that you sent me. It has been so unusually cold here, these seeds will help keep me sane until spring!

Patti

• tergrov
    14 years ago

Got my seeds today im danceing around like a crazy women

• conniesc
    14 years ago

I also received my seeds. Thanks Alana and everyone who participated. I received an awesome assortment and a lot of white flowers which are my new favorite. thanks so much.

• hibiscusfan -Northwest Ohio
    14 years ago

Received my package yesterday and was very exceited to see so mant different kinds that I've been wanting. Thanks to everyone for sharing your seeds and especially to Alana for hosting such a nice swap!!

• antiqueorchid
    14 years ago

I received my seeds today. Thank you Alana and everyone else who participated. A job well done!!!

• naturegirl236
    14 years ago

I also received my seeds today! A big thank you to Alana for hosting and to all the participants. I'm looking forward to going through my new goodies and doing a little google research to figure out where I'm going to plant things. :)

• ishareflowers {Lisa}
    14 years ago

Alana,

Thank you for taking time to put a package together for me. I got it yesterday, there are quite a few that I didn't have! I can't wait to try you jap. MG's.

:Lisa

• poisondartfrog
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jaynine,
    I know I mailed yours; it was in the box I took to the P.O. I must have missed copying the zip down. I will be watching for you to post that you received it to be absolutely certain it gets there.
    Have a good weekend!
    Alana

• suecirish
    14 years ago

Thanks Alana, I got my package today, just stuffed with lots of seeds including some that I had been hoping for and some new to me that I had to look up. I always like finding new plants to grow.
    You did a great job, Alana! And thanks to everyone for sharing.
    Sue

• snapdragon36
    14 years ago

I received my seeds today. I'm excited about all the goodies I got. Thanks Alana for doing such a great job. Thanks to everyone who shared their seeds. Happy Holidays

Debbie

• daisyb
    14 years ago

I received my seeds yesterday and what a wonderful assortment of seeds to try! For someone who only had 7 or 8 different kinds of seeds, I will now be able to try 35 different ones! This was one of the nicest Christmas gifts I have received. Thank you so much Alana for doing this. You are so very thoughtful to use your time and talents to do such a nice thing for all of us. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas.
    Daisy

• lisa831
    14 years ago

I received my seeds today and a great assortment of seeds to try, Thanks for hosting,and Happy Hoildays.
    Lisa

• dirtdaddy
    14 years ago

Seeds came today! Many will be new to the garden. Thanks Alana, and thanks everyone!

• ramazz
    14 years ago

I got my seeds yesterday, and Alana, you did a great job. I have participated in quite a few swaps, and I got more interesting seeds from yours than I have in quite a while. Thanks for all your hard work and have a great holiday!

Becky

• colcol
    14 years ago

My pkg came Sat and oh so wonderful seeds. So many on my want list; so anxious to start!!!
    THANK U so much!

• gee_oh_nyc
    14 years ago

Wow Alana! I couldn't be happier! Thanks for the careful selection. Can we add "mind-reading" to your list of skills? I got seeds I hadn't even thought to ask for but as soon as I saw them I said, "oh yeah I was meaning to ask for that." Maybe mind-reading is something that many of you share since you all sent in such great seeds. Thanks for your generosity everyone. What a wonderful way to chase away some winter dark and to get into the holiday spirit.
    Blessings,
    George

• pearlpark
    14 years ago

Thanks Alana. You did a great job. I received many selections from my wish list as well as some I thought about adding and did not. Thank you also for the generous amount of seeds. It is making a dark, rainy Ohio night pleasant, as I Plan next years gardens. Thanks also to all who shared a part of their gardens with the rest of us.

Earl

• jaynine
    14 years ago

My seeds came & I'm very pleased with them. Thanks Alana & everyone. Happy Holidays!

• lisam627_ohio_z6
    14 years ago

Hi Alana,

I received a chubby little package of seeds - Wow! Thanks so much for your kind generosity and excellent selection for me!

You did an awesome job, Alana! I'll be sure and sign up for the 2nd Annual Quick Seed Swap in 2010...if you'll have the interest to coordinate one again!

Have a wonderful holiday season and a Blessed New Year! - Thanks again! - Lisa

• elliesfun
    14 years ago

Received my seeds today. Wow! lots of new types of seeds to start. Thank you Alana for a wonderful job and for everyone who participated in the Swap. Have a wonderful Christmas holiday season.
    Ellie

• Julie
    14 years ago

What a great swap this was! Thanks so much to all for all of the wonderful seeds sent in- and especially, Thank You Alana for doing such a wonderful job at selecting such great seeds for each of us!
    I too had to look some new to me seeds up and will be very interested to watch these best of 2009 garden favorite seeds grow in my MN garden.
    Thanks all-
    Julie

• cryptid
    14 years ago

Seeds received...!

Alana, I just gotta say "WOW!!" Thank you *so VERY much* for *hosting* and coordinating this, as well as for paying particular attention to participant's prefered wants, etc.! Major thanks, also, to *ALL* of you extremely generous contributors! What a WONDERFUL, *FUN* experience this RR seed swap has been,...my first, but certainly not my last! Also participated in the "Secret Santa Seed Swap 2009", which has been equally fantabulous! What a totally fab community this is! Y'all *ROCK*!! :) "Merry Christmas, everyone, and a prosperous New Year in every way conceivable!"