SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lbs1028

New gardener trying to make a shady spot nice

lbs1028
16 years ago

OK... I planted yesterday in a dry shady top of a slope in our backyard...trying to give some life to the area under two Sycamore trees so there is dappled sun.

I am now worried after reading all the postings re: Bishops Weed that I found on this site - the postings were years old and so I am not sure anyone CURRENTLY will be reading/ responding that forum. I am not a very experienced gardener and this was a dismal area in our yard so I just planted "shade plants" yesterday and was so proud but admittedly I was backwards in my process and looked the plants up online AFTER I bought and planted them. Having read all this negative talk about Bishop's Weed scared me.

The plants I picked:

2 Bugbanes

2 Dale Strains Coral Bells

1 Christmas Fern

1 Foaming Bell

and then 1 Bishop's Weed!!!!!!

My husband is an Episcopal Priest so I thought it was a appropriate name and now that I read that it takes over everything and you can't kill it....LOL It sounds more like it should be called Devil's weed. At least the Bishops of the world would not probably like the attributes of this plant.

So...should I rip the one plant out? We don't have a lot of money being a clergy family. :) I can't afford to lose all the restof the plants to this one marauder plant.

What do folks think? I have shady, clay soil (amended with Organic soil builder in each hole I planted.), on the top of a slope so all the water ends at the bottom...? Will the Bishop's weed be the last one standing at the end of the summer and choke everyone else out?

Thanks for any advice, I feel like running out there and ripping it out just out of fear. I have some unbelievably strong rooted shooting plant that is invading my front yard (from previous owner)and that is already the bane of my existance and I spend all my time digging up the shoots and VERY STRONG long roots that must be running underneath my entire front bed and then out into my lawn. After 2 years of waging that war I don't need another thing like that in my back yard. What should I do?

Sincerely, Laura

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH