SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tenderkat

Okay, so what's so bad about Raccoons??

tenderkat
15 years ago

I'm sure this is probably a stupid question to some, but I'm a nature lover, and curious as well. We bought our home in the Colorado Foothills 2 years ago. We have a 9000 square foot yard, surrounded by a privacy fence. On occasion, we have been visited, after hours, by a pair of raccoons. They seem to hope that our unnaccessible doggyfood bin will - poof - be accessible. When I go out there, they scramble about 15 feet up the big Box Elder, and peer down at me. Honestly, I don't mind their forage into our yard. When they come, our toddler is long past asleep, and they don't dare visit if our Rottweiler is outside. So, tonite they came, and I went outside, they went up the tree, and I politely explained to them that there was no food to be found. My questions are these - I plan on building a raised vegetable garden this year - will they raid and destroy it? Also - Now here is definitely where the word STUPID, although I despise it, might come into play - If I, on occasion, leave a few nibbles out on my patio for them, will this create a problematic situation? My husband says absolutely YES! - they will destroy everything! And he says they are very mean, infested with rabies, and prone to bite. Is this true?

Comments (10)