SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msrose

Stumped by my front flowerbed

msrose
9 years ago

I've lived here 3 1/2 years and still haven't finished my front flowerbed. I planted the back shrubs when I moved in. I don't think they've reached their full height, but I don't think they will get a lot taller. On the far left is a crape myrtle that is supposed to get 4-5 ft tall. Those are the only things that have to stay for now. I'm keeping any eye our for something to replace the crape myrtle if it doesn't meet my expectations. It's a Razzle Dazzle and I know those have been kind of hit or miss for people. I planted black-foot daisies in the front this year and it doesn't show up enough from the street, so I think I'm going to move them to the back yard. I don't know if you can see it against the bark, but I planted two purple pixie fringe plants three years ago and I don't think they've grown at all. I loved the idea of something purple, but I think it's time for them to grow. I just planted some purple oxalis in the front right corner, which looks really pretty when it's blooming. I'm just so confused about what to plant in this bed. I bought a Blue Victoria Salvia yesterday and I put it in the bed until I decided where to plant it. I love the color for this bed, but the tag says it gets 18" to 24", so I'm afraid that would be too tall. Wouldn't blue and yellow be pretty though.

I've been seeing Flirt Nandina in the nurseries and thought it might be a possibility. It says it gets 1' to 2'. Two feet might be a little tall though. Would I put them in the front of the bed and some type of flower behind it or stagger the Nandina in front of the shrubs and put some type of flower in the front of the bed? If they stayed low like in this picture, it would be really pretty in the front.

Any other suggestions for in front of the shrubs? What would you put in the place of the crape myrtle?

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living