SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xeramatheum

Bleach & Poison Ivy Revisited

Xeramatheum
18 years ago

Hmm,

I think some people are overreacting to the bleach thing.

I did a quick check of the stems the dead leaves are on and yes they are deader than doornails, (I was curious about where that expression came from :Deader than a doornail --- Medieval doors were studded with heavy nails- Doornails, one of which was used as a knocker. This nail was clearly very unresponsive and dead to the constant assault, hence the saying. Expression to indicate actual or apparent lack of life - death.)

Anyway, the bleach did kill what it contacted and the parts of the stems the leaves were connected to. The main stem, however is ok so it clearly is not very systemic.

I feel it would take a lot more than the 1 cup of bleach I used to knock out about 25 feet of poison ivy growing on my fence to do any great harm to the soil. I achieved the result I wanted. I got the poison ivy off of my fence. Plus, the drip line of the bleach was no more than 2 - 3 inches wide, both sides of fence taken into consideration and I wasn't spraying the leaves to the point of drip either. Any alteration of the soil would be minimal. If you were truly concerned about this, a good flushing of the ground at the drip line after the bleach had dried with the hose probably would be enough to dilute it to harmless levels. Besides, if it somehow sterilized the ground directly under my fence (of which it didn't because grass is still growing there unscathed, remember I said it rained that night?), I wouldn't be too sad about it because I'm tired of my weed wacker getting caught when I'm trimming around the fence.

Now I totally agree that the bleach would not be the way to go to kill a large mass of poison ivy that is growing on the ground, but for a quick fix, bleach is one way to go. The fact that it damaged the leaves so quickly, made it much easier to don my gloves and get it off the fence and I would also like to report that I think the bleach may have altered the chemistry of the rash producing substance since I had no reaction to any of the dead leaves when accidentally brushing them with my bare arms.

X

Comment (1)