SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dirtgirl_wt

frustrations with common perceptions of wildlife

dirtgirl
19 years ago

Just here in the last few days I have discussions about wildlife with different people that left me disgusted and depressed and convinced that for every two steps forward we take, there will be three backwards.

I truly believe that for every one person with even a slight grasp of the complexities and dynamics of a healthy ecosystem there must be ten Joe Sixpacks strolling about with blinders on who only see what they want to see, or believe what they have been told by other Joes.

Here, in short, are a few of the incredible things I have heard lately, and all of them deal with how one particular species or another, or one that is reintroduced is "ruining" our local ecosystem:

Turkeys are a bad, bad thing. They are not native (?!) and were brought in by the DNR and they eat all the quail eggs so that's why there aren't any quail left. (from a devout quail hunter) And the woods are full of "turkey mites" now (I have decided that these mysterious mites must be deer ticks because I've got turkeys everywhere and never seen anything new on my shins) and these same turkeys are ruining the mushroom hunting because they till up whatever mushrooms they don't eat. And I had a deer hunter tell me turkeys were ruining the deer hunting because deer won't associate with them...the turkeys work up the ground and the deer can't smell where a predator has been. This one really had me scratching my head. Predators? Of deer? Oh, you mean hunters...

Then I heard from the die-hard rabbit hunter camp. Amazingly, no one accused (yet) turkeys of eating young rabbits. However, according to them we do need to kill off all the 1) coyotes, 2) hawks and owls 3) foxes, and 4) pray the bobcats don't get a better foothold because that's why their hunting has gone to pot. Maybe it never occurred to them that it might instead have something to do with 1) their 15 free-range tom cats, 2) their burning and mowing and plowing of every fencerow in the county, and perhaps 3) the fact that most of them choose to ignore bag limits and shoot more than their tag allows.

We have one or two eagles in our area now...I kept it to myself when I first spotted one months ago for fear it would be a Joe target. Just this week one of my neighbors drove up and wanted to know if I'd seen the eagle. I told him I had, asked him what he thought of his first good look at such a magnificent bird, and he told me that it was amazing that a bird that big could catch songbirds and quail. I felt that queasy feeling in my gut coming on. I told him then that I wasn't sure about eagles catching songbirds, but that I knew they did eat a lot of fish when they could get it, as well as carrion. That's when he got a look on his face and said "Well I like fish myself!" I thought of the rabbit hunters and the quail hunters and suddenly had a mental picture of this guy now bringing a rifle along on his fishing trips.

Seems like greed and personal preference are the driving force with most of the people I know, not learning about complex relationships among different species and population dynamics. I am so sick and tired of finding dead hawks and owls, possums and coons,and then hearing some idiot spouting garbage about why it's the right thing to do. I apologize for my ranting, but it frustrates me to tears to think that I could try til I am blue in the face to change the rural mindset and most of it will be a waste of breath.

Comments (44)