SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
uclajediknight

HELP! First home and yard is infested with 'weeds'!

UCLAJediKnight
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

First I want to say that I am an almost complete noobie with respect to gardening. I grew up in Chicago and my only gardening experience was mowing the lawn, laying sod, transplanting landscaping, etc...

I am now an adult and we just purchased our first home in San Diego, CA. The backyard is pretty small around 500 sqft. Most of the yard is covered with one type of "weed."

I would like to remove the weeds and seed with grass. I have not decided what type of grass yet, I will ask in the lawn forum.

The weeds have pointy seed pods/burrs that are about 2-3mm in diameter. They are everywhere. The ground is almost completely covered in them.

I am attaching a few photos of them. I brought them into a local garden center and they gave me some advice but failed to identify the weed.

Basically they gave me Ortho Max Poison Ivy and Tough Brush. They said to mow the lawn as short as possible and then to spray this all over. Wait one week and then I can till and proceed with seeding.

I am willing to go with their advice but I am doubtful because they couldn't identify the weed. I am also concerned that the THOUSANDS of seed pods sprout if they are tilled.

Can you guys identify this weed and please give me some advice on how to proceed? I am open to almost anything. Please be kind and remember that I am new to this.

Thank you!

Mario

Image link:

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor