SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alley_gw

water softeners and reverse osmosis

alley
16 years ago

I have been reading several forums and not sure where to post this, so you guys are the lucky ones. I've been having an issue with my brugs and it has come to light that the problem might be my water softener. I have also been reading on the propagation forum about starting cuttings in water and the successes. I read a while ago that you should not water house plants with softened water because of the salt. so, I've been using water from the reverse osmosis system (which is hooked up to the water softener). I've also read that it should be easy to root cuttings in water, but not softened water--too much salt. I don't have too much luck with it except for ivy and spider plants. I have been watering outside pots with tap water (softened). The whole house, including the outside faucets, is plumbed to the water softener (former owners doing). There is one spigot on the outside of the softener that is not softened, and I've started to use that to water my outside stuff (although I would have to say that watering my grass and other bedding plants with softened water in the past has not really been an issue other than I am creating wear and tear on the softener and going through salt quicker). It is just now with the brugs that this has come up.

So here it is...Would using reverse osmosis water be okay to water my outside plants in a pot (and more to the point my brugs)? Would that take the salt out? Wouldn't that be like watering my plants with bottled water (even though it was softened first)? I can get the water from the water softener unit, but it is a pain and so much easier to get it from the kitchen sink (seeing as I have many pots outside).

I live west of fort worth and we need the softener. The hard water here ruins everything with it's mineral deposits. The reverse osmosis has 3 filters before it gets to the membrane (again, former owners doing and probably overkill on the filters, but you should see the first one--it is gross what comes out of the water).

Comment (1)