SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newyorkrita

I have a Flock of Cedar Waxwings!!!

newyorkrita
16 years ago

Wow, planting for the birds finially paid off bigtime today. I had never in my life seen Cedar Waxwings in person so when I planted all sorts of berry producing shrubs to attract the backyard songbirds, I was always hoping for a flock of these to visit. Before now no luck as the last of any berries still on from the winter were eaten by the Catbirds returning in the spring.

Today a flock appeared and started by stripping the berries off a holly near my fenceline. I was flabbergasted. I happened to be outside to see them.

About twenty minutes later I was inside and they came and stripped all the last of the winterberries that are growing on the hill just outside my office window. I could see them so well. The local Mockingbird must be pissed as he has been eating those winterberries and guarding the rest all winter. Gone now!

Then they moved to the side yard which I can see out my bedroom window very clearly. There is a small pond so they were drinking and trying to take baths. They ate up all the berries on some small hollies and all the berries on the inkberry (which had berries for the first time this year in spite of the fact that I have still not gotten a male inkberry).

They are currently working on the berries on my Cardinal Viburnum and my Wentworth Viburnum. I will watch a bird swoop down from the neightbors tree, take and eat a berry or two and then fly back up to the tree and the others with a berry in its mouth. This is so great!!!

Comments (8)