SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
red_geranium

Bermuda grass in raised rose bed

red_geranium
13 years ago

There is hope? Three years ago, I built a large raised bed on top of bermuda lawn using the lasagna method and since I did not first kill the bermuda, it has become a nightmare with the bermuda rising in mass to the surface. I have spent hours trying to pull and dig out the stuff and to no avail. This year I decided to lie in wait and I think I may have succeeded in making headway in the bermuda kill. I waited till after the roses put forth their magnificent Spring bloom and had allowed the grass grow to almost 2 ft. Trimmed off all lower branches of the roses. Got out my RoundUp (not the new long lasting product), plastic shoebox and paint roller attached to a broom handle. Laid the grass down a bit, away from the rose trunks, and rolled on and on the RoundUp. One week later the grass looks very dead and the roses fine (except for the usual rose diseases). Now I don't quite know how to proceed. Should I pull out the dead grass or leave it in place? Should I put down some sort of weed barrier, (which doesn't seem to work well against bermuda)? Hate to apply the RoundUp too frequently as I do not know how roses would respond to soil saturated with RoundUp. Am open to any experience or ideas. Thank you!

Comments (34)

• melvalena
    13 years ago

I'm not sure about what to do next, but I'll be watching to see what others have to say.

• cweathersby
    13 years ago

They sell a couple of different grass killers that JUST kill grass. You can spray it all over your roses without harming them. That's what I do.

• Related Discussions

Raised beds over grass?

Q

Comments (13)
    I strongly advise against putting down a cloth weed barrier. Your plants will do much better if they have access the the soil below. With a barrier, you're just making a giant container. I've been spending the last 5 years covering about 5,000 sq ft of weedy lawn with garden beds. I cut the grass short with a lawn mower, lay down cardboard on top of it, cover with 3-4 inches of soil and mulch. I get very few weeds popping through. Definitely with 18" of soil over the top of your lawn, the grass won't survive. Line the bottom with cardboard or paper grocery bags if you'd like, but be sure it's something that will decompose. Dump your dirt on top. Many vegetable plants, such as tomatoes, have deep roots, and that decomposed grass will give you a good bounty later in the summer.
    ...See More

is it ok to put soil directly on grass when filling raised beds?

Q

Comments (13)
    sophigirl Yep, you can put down the cardboard, newspaper, soil, and other goodies in your beds and the plants will grow. In your shoes, since it's brand-new beds, I think I'd want them down as soon as possible. Though you can plant everything whenever you get the beds laid out, I think you'd feel more secure if you can get them laid out now and then plant a week or two later. It gives things time to settle, particularly if you're unable to shave off the sod some way. One guy on the internet showed how he removed the sod, turned it upside down so the roots were up, then put down the cardboard, newspaper, and soil for his raised beds. It was a matter of mixing "browns and greens" for fast decomposition of the sod and encouragement of earthworms, who apparently love the glue in corrugated cardboard.
    ...See More

Raised bed PROBLEM with grass growing in it

Q

Comments (13)
    Newspaper works well. Use about 4 sheets of it and make sure the edges overlap. Wet it down, and put mulch on top of it. It will last for about a year and eventually degrade. If you need to plant anything else in the bed just dig a hole through the newspaper and redo the newspaper around it when you're done. I do this for my rose beds because I'm a horribly lazy gardener. In fact, I usually dig a hole in the grass, plant my rose, and newspaper around it. I still get some grass coming up but it's not that bad and I can just pull it. There's a spray called Grass be Gone by Ortho that is safe to use around roses, but it didn't work too well for me when I tried it last year. I'm trying it again this year but I haven't had a chance to use it yet.
    ...See More

Raised Bed over Bermuda. Should I kill/till/remove/smother it???

Q

Comments (2)
    Another suggestion. This will cause a delay of a year, but... Kimmsr is right - it takes at least THREE shots of glyphosate to kill Bermuda in the area you want to replant. Another option, if you are willing to wait, is to overlay the area NOW with a double layer of black plastic, weight it down thoruoughly around the periphery and down the center, and wait a year. The Bermuda underneath will emerge and slowly die under the lack of light and the heat produced by the plastic. It needs to go a couple of feet beyond the edge of the future raised bed to kill the Bermuda far enough away that it will not immediately re-invade. When you build the raised bed, use a DOUBLE layer of geo-textile fabric ("weed barrier") lapping up the inside of the raised bed to the top. This will cause most of any invading Bermuda to emerge on the outside edge of the raised bed where it can be dealt with. The double layer is necessary because Bermuda can zip right through a single. That is the best protection you can apply non-chemically against Bermuda without using glyphosate.
    ...See More
  • melvalena
    13 years ago

What do you do with the dead grass? Do you pull it out? mulch over it?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

I'd just mulch over it and let it decompose on its own. If any surviving Burmuda grass peeks out just spray it with the grass only killer as mentioned above. I use "Grass B Gone" put out by Ortho.

• melvalena
    13 years ago

Thanks Roselee! It will be lots easier to not have to remove the dead grass. :)
    I don't worry about the roundup in the bed. It only works on actively growing stuff if you get it on the leaves.

• justintx
    13 years ago

The RoundUp breaks down when it hits the soil. No lasting effect on other plants. The dead grass is dead. Do whatever you want.

roselee - I was told "Grass-B-Gone" was, uh, gone! That stuff worked great (just give it a few days)! Can't find it anymore. Where did you get yours?
    J.D.

• bossjim1
    13 years ago

Fertilome's "Over-the-Top" is supposed to be the same as Ortho's "Grass be Gone".
    Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

J.D. I got Ortho Grass B Gone about a month ago at Lowe's and also at the grocery store, H.E.B.

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    13 years ago

I would pull up the dead grass. Roundup can really do freaky things to roses. You don't have to spray it on the rose leaves to cause damage to your roses. Damage can happen if the grass roots are intwined with the rose roots. (AND can affect your roses up to a year later!) I didn't know this and learned the hard way. Ask about it on the rose forum. You will get lots of horror stories.

That's why I would pull up all the dead grass. I'm now pulling up my bermuda grass around my roses by hand with a cultivator. I don't know how 'Grass be gone' would affect your roses, as I've not used this. I'm definitely going to research it, though! Sounds like a light at the end of the tunnel! lol

If your grass roots are not close to the roses, and their roots are not touching, you might not have any problems with your roses from the roundup.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

Just to let y'all know I've used Grass B Gone right next to and among the roses and it doesn't affect them AT ALL. Amazingly it only kills grass. As J.D. said above, it takes a few days. I haven't actually timed it, but it seems like it takes a couple of weeks for the grass to die so don't think it isn't working when the grass doesn't appear to be affected for a while.

Roses are very sensitive to just a whiff of a drift of Round Up and sometimes it takes quite a while for the damage to show up. I found that out the hard way years ago when I very carefully (or so I thought) sprayed it to kill weeds in my Mom's yard and almost killed her Old Blush hedge along the back fence (they were stunted for a bit but recovered), but sure didn't know the roots of plants killed would affect the roots of roses if they are intertwined. Thanks for the info Holly. Now that's really a bummer.

• carrie751
    13 years ago

JD, don't know why Roselee's Lowes would have GrassBGone and not ours, but as you know, I couldn't find it last year anywhere in this area. An Ortho rep happened to be in Lowe's when I was asking the clerk about it, and he told me they weren't allowed to make it anymore.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

I hope all this isn't scaring you Red. Your roses are probably going to be perfectly fine especially since you were so careful. A lot of people report using Round-Up around roses with no problems.

But just for my own information I went ahead and searched the Rose Forum and found a thread about the ways in which Round-Up might affect roses. There may be other threads. As in all things there are differing opinions.

BTW, RRD stands for 'Rose Rosette Disease' which is a viral like disease affecting some roses. It is carried by a wind blown mite. The initial symptoms are similar to Round-up damage thus the title of the thread. Haven't keep up with the latest on RRD, but I don't think it's found in Texas.

Here is a link that might be useful: RRD or Round-Up Problems

• cweathersby
    13 years ago

The grass killer I have was bought at a feed store because I couldn't find it at Lowes. I've sprayed it directly on roses and everything else with no harm. I don't pull up the grass afterwards cause I'm too lazy!

• carrie751
    13 years ago

What is the name of the grass killer, cweathersby??? I would be interested to see if my feed store carries it or could order it for me.

• cweathersby
    13 years ago

I have no idea. And I'm not at home to check the bottle. When I couldn't find grass be gone I just went and read all the bottles at the feed store to see if they had one. They did, which is amazing to me cause they don't carry much of anything. Only the important stuff! It was expensive, but I've got a lot of flower beds- actually turned my whole orchard into a grass free rose garden- and I use it a lot but this stuff comes so concentrated that this one bottle has lasted me a long time.

• carrie751
    13 years ago

If you would, please, send me an email when you get home and can find the name of it. I have one bed desperately in need of getting rid of the Bermuda (oh, how I hate that grass)!!!

• red_geranium
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, thank you, thank you! It is amazing how, in this heat and stoney soil, "economy of comfort" reigns! Most gardening here has a definite process or ........... you stroke out or go broke! I'll let you know how my beloved roses fare after the RoundUp application I did and will be on the look out for GrassBeGone. I did do the paint roller application rather than spray, hoping to cut down drift. Haven't decided what to do about the dead grass as of yet as lots of the roots are entwined with rose root. Thanks again for the help and information) I know an applied mulch would not help and any weed barrier would just push the grass closer to the bushes. Can't pull this stuff out! Any more info would be greatly appreciated!

• justintx
    13 years ago

Roselee / Jim - thanks - I'll look for the "Over-the-Top" also.

cweathersby - don't just send that to Carrie!! Post it for all of us!!

Carrie - I guess it was you who told me the Ortho rep said GrassBGone was no longer made. I used up one bottle then couldn't find it again. I got a great bermuda kill with RoundUp on my new beds, but every now and then a sneaky little stray creeps in on me.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

As to 'Grass B Gone' availability I couldn't find it last fall and figured it was a seasonal thing, but maybe Ortho stopped making it for whatever reason and has now resumed. If you Google it lots of places list it for sale including Amazon.

• carrie751
    13 years ago

I will be checking my Lowe's tomorrow.

• seamommy
    13 years ago

Here's my sad Round up story: I had a little pecan tree coming up right under one of my roses. They weren't touching above ground, and it never occurred to me that the roots were probably touching. Using a small paintbrush I put a scant drop of roundup on the leaf of the tree. In a couple days the tree was dead, and in a couple weeks the rose was dead too. Roundup is a systemic non-selective plant killer, which means it will kill anything that absorbs it. It entered the leaf of the tree and was carried all the way down to the roots, entered the roots of the rose and killed it too. I will not use it again near my roses or any of my garden plants. Cheryl

13 years ago

I went to Lowe's today, and they did have 'grass b gone'. I asked if they were still making this, and was told, no, this was the end, because the EPA would not approve the product. So, I bought 12 bottles! Hope that lasts me!

Then, curious, I asked Why the EPA would not approve this product. The guy looked at it, and said well, it's 2, 4, 5, blah, blah, blah, looks like it's only a couple of numbers off of being Agent Orange. lol I have to laugh because I am soooo organic, never hardly spraying anything, but I DON'T CARE!!! I am losing the war on Bermuda grass and was happy to find it. :)

• hitexplanter
    13 years ago

Here is something to think about and why I have always wondered why they still allow this these toxic substances to be sold to anyone especially gardeners. Read the last poster refer to 2, 4, 5, blah blah blah.....I am soooo organic. Notice that 2,4,5 T and close relative 2,4,D of the same family of toxins create as a by product the dioxins that made agent orange as bad as it was...but also read a little about the stuff you want to spray in your yard. Just think about it. It your choice and your life. I won't judge other but I never have or ever will use such a product. Happy Growing David

Here is a link that might be useful: Agent Orange from wikipedia

13 years ago

I apologize for being so flippant about Agent Orange. Obviously, this toxin caused a lot of dismay to many people, and it gives me pause. Not being a chemist, I don't know how close a compound fluazifop-p-butyl is to AO. I've looked online to try to decipher it, but seem to get conflicting information.

Anyone have an alternative to rid the bermuda grass in the flower beds?

• hitexplanter
    13 years ago

Holleygarden: I understand your frustration with bermuda and anyone else that contends with this pest...The most disturbing to me after the reading of this article was more that DIOXIN is a by product of the manufacture process. It was never to be mixed in the product and this is what made it so directly damaging in the Vietnam era "herbicide war" campaign. The bigger direct problem I personally have is that when separated what do you do with this very toxic DIOXIN. You can't use it and it very difficult to store so where is all this material after all these years of making these weedkillers. In the end the 2,4,5 T or 2,4, D are NOT anywhere near as dangerous as the DIOXIN by-product created from making these "weed-killers". It was stopped being made years ago. But by law the stuff made still can be sold until the supply is exhausted. The PAN reference I was looking the other day says Scotts stopped in 1996. To still 14 years later have product seems unbelievable so I need to figure out how long ago Ortho was bought out by Scotts because this part still doesn't make sense to me as yet.
    AS to the original problem. I still think after reading the post linking the rose/roundup issue that I think was very informative (that if used properly will be a minimal risk to the majority of users). After using RU for more than 20 years in all kinds of situations and by every method wick, wipe, and spray on anything from grass, broad leaf weeds and infrequently cut trees I have never seen any real damage that I could attribute to its use other than by drift or over-concentration in the applied method. I to this day use it as a last resort for a specific weed/tree problem that I can't control by any other practical means. It is not a product of (that's easier) it is a product of last resort. I think in most cases of RU damage that the applicator was at fault for the problem by drift/ or over- application. So this would still be my recommendation for bermuda in a bed that can't be controlled otherwise and the wick (brushing on) method will lead to minimal if any problems for 99% of the people. I am not a big fan of its use but when all else fails and you use it properly you should OK.
    Good Luck and Happy Growing David

• carrie751
    13 years ago

David, let me just say that what you say is all true, and certainly should be taken very seriously. I would just like to add that sometimes due to physical conditions beyond our control and not of our making, some of us need a product that is reasonably safe as we can no longer apply the "hard" dig and pull method. That being said, I still dig and pull as much as I possibly can, but then I have to resort to other methods sometimes, and RU has been my friend in these instances.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

Thank you very much for the information David, but a couple of things aren't clear to me. You wrote, "In the end the 2,4,5 T or 2,4, D are NOT anywhere near as dangerous as the DIOXIN by-product created from making these 'weed-killers'."

Well, at least that's good to know.

"It" was stopped being made years ago."

What 'it' was stopped -- the manufacture of glyphosate?

"But by law the stuff made still can be sold until the supply is exhausted."

Do you mean the supply of Roundup's active ingredient, glyphosate, will not be made when the supply that was made years ago is exhausted?

"The PAN reference I was looking the other day says Scotts stopped in 1996. To still 14 years later have product seems unbelievable so I need to figure out how long ago Ortho was bought out by Scotts because this part still doesn't make sense to me as yet."

Does this mean that when the previously made supply of glyphosate runs out Roundup will no longer be available? And that presumably Scott bought up Ortho's supply? BTW, didn't Monsanto spend millions developing plants that were resistant to Roundup so the weeds could be sprayed without it affecting the food crop and called the seeds to those food crops 'Roundup ready'? Why would they do that if the manufacture of Roundup is to be discontinued?

I just read this on Monsanto's site: "Roundup® agricultural herbicides are the flagship of Monsanto's agricultural chemicals business. The properties of Roundup agricultural herbicides and other glyphosate products can be used as part of an environmentally responsible weed control program and fit with the vision of sustainable agriculture and environmental"

Sorry to be so dense but I really don't understand all this. I didn't even know that Grass b Gone was related to Round Up. I'm not educated in chemistry and thought that the 2,4, numbers, etc. just referred to where molecules attached to one another and not were not necessarily referring to molecules that were related to one another. In other words I thought fluazifop (Grass B Gone) was unrelated to glyphosate (Roundup). But if they are closely related it seems that Roundup would be pulled as well as Grass B Gone.

So if anyone can clarify some of this I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

Part of an article posted on May 13, 2010:

"Glyphosate maker nixes investigation

"Monsanto refuses to join Albaugh's antidumping petition

"By MATEUSZ PERKOWSKI
    Capital Press

"The federal government has called off an investigation into allegations that China is dumping the herbicide glyphosate onto the U.S. market at unfair [low] prices."

Whole article linked below. The one comment is also interesting.

There are lots of articles, but it can be very confusing if one isn't familiar with technical chemistry terminology. It seems some formulations of glyphosate have been discontinued, but others have not:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:HESXyUZ5A2UJ:www.ag.ndsu.nodak.edu/aginfo/entomology/ndsucpr/Years/2004/July/8/weeds_8July04.htm+glyphosate+discontinued%3F&cd=8&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

As for fluazifop being discontinued I found this:

"Fluazifop-P-butyl

"Pricing & availability is not currently available. See Related Products below for a possible substitute.

"This product number has been discontinued but a similar or custom product may be available. Please select the recommended replacement product below (if a direct replacement is available) or use the links to "similar products" to see other possible replacement products. To inquire about a custom offering, please click the "Ask a Scientist" link."

But I still don't know what's going on :-(

Here is a link that might be useful: Article in farm publication posted on May 13 ...

• hitexplanter
    13 years ago

I am sorry to confuse and that was not my intent. Scotts lost registration for Fluazifop-P-butyl. This is what so many were asking about and that was lost (discontinued) in 1996 yet is to some degree still in some parts of the market. I am sorry if I made it sound like RU was what I am referring to. The OP was concerned about the result and what to use after so much discussion. I tried to tie the two together into one post and this is my fault. The 2,4,5 T and 2,4,D and DIOXIN are all related and are a part of the Agent Orange Link and the tie into the old grass-b-gone that I recall being on the shelf when I worked at ACE. Again I did confuse and am sorry to have done this disservice to all. Happy Growing David

Part 2 Glyphosate (Round Up) originally from Monsanto and exclusive to them until sometime in early 90's when their patent expired. It is still there flagship herbicide product but many others have been offering it for many years (generic formulations of glyphosate) at much better pricing of essentially the same thing. Think of the drug market as the same kind of thing (brand vs. generic). Since this is still available and I don't see it going away and is over consider safe if used properly I was trying to steer the conversation toward this as the type of herbicide to use in OP situation and for any have something like this as a problem and all else has failed. I am not an advocate for or against anything on the market legally but find many people don't understand or take the time to truly know how to use many of these products RU or grass-b-gone and many others properly. The labeling is hard to read, confusing and only if you know and research the products often times beyond the minimum that required on the labeling by law there is so much more to most of these chemicals and the inert or secondary products that are on the labels in very small print and may not be listed at all if the law doesn't require it. If I don't shut up now I expect I am creating more confusion and hope that is not the case. Happy Growing David

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

Thanks David. You did good. It's just hard to write about complicated subjects such as this one since one is not able to fore know the questions that will come up in the reader's mind.

• cweathersby
    13 years ago

The stuff I bought from the ag supply store is labelled "Hi Yield" brand "Grass Killer".

• hitexplanter
    13 years ago

When I have to, I use Hi Yield Killzall. A 41% glyphosate generic brand but is the( same % as original Monsanto Round Up).
    I will look up later the chemical in the Hi Yield Weed Killer. I don't recognize this chemical and want to see what I can find out. If I find anything worth sharing I will.
    Happy Growing David

• red_geranium
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The grass now seems to be quite dead......roses still blooming. Tried to pull it up but it was impossible so I got out a shovel and it was quite difficult to spade through the heavy grass-root network about 6 inches down. I gave up since I see it will be impossible to get rid of all the grassroot. So.....I am going to follow Roselee's suggestion and just leave it lying dead and lightly apply RoundUp or GrassBeGone etc. by paint roller when new grass shoots emerge. I also added another course to the retaining brick and planted a rosemary hedge around the perimeter of the bed, hoping to shade some grass out (a feeble action, I have to admit). What I learned......NEVER NEVER lasagna method a bed over bermuda grass unless you are working under shade and/or have scraped the existing soil. Thank you for all the information!

• melvalena
    13 years ago

I could be dead wrong, but I'm not sure scraping the existing soil of the grass will do the trick.
    It might make it take longer to come up, but the roots are still there and it will come back. :(

With Bermuda, you have to kill it first.

Then later you have to kill it again! :)